Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?

Article about: I saw this jacket posted on eBay the other day and thought I would make an offer on it. Surprisingly the seller accepted my offer without making a counter offer. I should have gotten the for

Would be nice to know the maker...

No hallmarks that I can see, could possibly be a very used die.

I don't have a copy of the book Combat Infantryman's Badges with me right now..

Would like to investigate further as KMMorris has brought up some valid points that do merit further investigation.. When I can get to my book I will see what it says...or doesn't say...

Smitty

Some really valid points are being brought up over the CIB. The only thing I can add is that it looks like the badge has been attached to the jacket for awhile. When I took it off to take those photos I could see imprints from the badge left on the jacket. But that still doesn't mean anything though. Could be a repro or post war example that has been attached for a good amount of time.

Best Regards- Jarret

I also meant to mention this.

All of the patches are machine sewn to the jacket with the exception of the 8th army patch. I have no idea why, but it's the only patch that's hand sewn.

Best Regards- Jarret

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Defiantly a more modern or Repro CIB not ww2 vintage.
    I am fairly confident that the 2nd Infantry Patch and the rank chevrons are all reapplied,

Morris
    Im with Morris on this one.
    To my mind its a Nam era CIB .
    The rest is just a cluster%#^* of add on's.
    Cheers Rick

Rick,

Thank you for your input and feedback as well..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

I actually wonder if this may have belonged to a Korean war solder that someone made to look wwii. It wouldn’t be the first time I have seen this done. In 1950 the 2nd ID was attached to the 8th army, and still is to this day which COULD explain the patch combination.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility that the “right” WWII parts were put on.

Eaglemtn,,

That's is a good point...about the Korean War connection..

Smitty

There should be a tailors tag in the inner breast pocket. What's the date on that? It's a little odd that the CIB and PUC survived but not the collar brass.

I do, however, think the ribbon bar is a possibility. The Philippine Liberation could have been earned between October 1944 through September 2, 1945. This individual could have served in the 2nd ID until the conclusion in Europe and with low points have rotated to the Pacific. Again, unusual combination but not out of the realm of possibility.

I was able to do a little further research on this particular CIB and the maker..

This appears to be a N.S. Meyer early made CIB. Based on information in the reference book "Combat Infantryman Badge 1943-1975 by Michael F. Tucker

Here is some further information:

"The N.S. Meyer badges of early manufacture utilized 1/4 inch attachment pins that were soldered directly to the badge".

Here is some information about the detailing of the oak leaves and the imperfections.

"The design of the group of oakleaves to the immediate left and right of the riband is the primary method of detecting the "Meyer" pattern."

"The top blades of the compound leaf to the left of the riband look similar to ocean waves breaking to the left. The top blades of the leaves to the right of the riband also have this characteristic but are not as uniform. Veins of the leaves are represented by simple carved lines and were not designed with anatomical correctness in mind."

I will also add this as additional information about the CIB that I posted which may or may not be WW2 era..

"Sometime between 1945 and 1955 the N.S. Meyer pattern badge had undergone a slight change to its reverse. Gone is the dark color to be replaced with a whitish silver one. Even though the badge was still constructed from silver, this new finish was added to the badge. The word "STERLING" was enlarged and its position is moved up and to the right from its previous location. The 1/4 inch attachment pins remain in the same locations and the concave stamped musket image can be seen on the reverse. This style badge with 1/4 inch attachment pins was produced until 1960 when the change to 5/16 inch pins occurred."

So I have to conclude that Jarrett's CIB is most likely a WW2 era N.S. Meyer made CIB due to the placement of the word "STERLING" in the bottom center above the riband, the 1/4 inch attachment pins (Assuming they are 1/4 inch), the oakleaves, specifically the wave type details on the left side of the riband and the lack thereof on the right side oak leaves and what appears to be a darker reverse and not the whitish silver as mine has shown.

@ KMorris and RickW..

What are your thoughts guys? Your valued input would be appreciated...

Best regards to all,, Stay Safe everyone.. and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate this holiday..

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2