Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?

Article about: I saw this jacket posted on eBay the other day and thought I would make an offer on it. Surprisingly the seller accepted my offer without making a counter offer. I should have gotten the for

Default Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?

I saw this jacket posted on eBay the other day and thought I would make an offer on it. Surprisingly the seller accepted my offer without making a counter offer. I should have gotten the forum’s opinion on this jacket before buying it, but I find it easy to get caught up in the moment and buy pieces like these on the spot.

This jacket is quite the eye catcher, but I also find it to be a bit confusing. It’s not often I see uniforms where the veteran served in both the European and Pacific theaters. Would it be possible for a man serving with the 2nd infantry division in Europe to get transferred to the Pacific to later serve with the 8th army?

Unfortunately I could find no name or laundry number anywhere on this jacket. The jacket did come with a garrison cap, but sadly there is no name or number on the inside of it either. The garrison cap has ordinance piping, and a 130th infantry regiment badge.

Does this jacket look feasible at all? The clasps on the CIB are proper WWII era 'Non dimpled' examples. The patches look like they weren’t added post war, and all of the ribbon bars have the same exact aged look to them. To my novice eyes the jacket looks good, it’s just the history that has me scratching my head.

Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?

Lot of guesswork here and pure speculation on what I am going to say about possibilities...

I'm not a huge fan of the ribbons, you have to look at the Liberation of the Philippines and when that started in October 1944,, and if you look at the 2nd Infantry Division history in Europe, they landed at Omaha Beach on D+1 7 June 1944.. those campaigns are just 4 months apart.. For a Soldier to leave Europe and get sent to the Pacific in such a short time may have happened but you have to ask what was so important about this particular Soldier to get him sent to the other side of the world?

The 2nd was in Northern Ireland and Wales from October 43 to June 44.. They did not see any combat before 7 June 44. This would mean the Soldier would have had to had served briefly in France earned 1 campaign star and was sent back to the states to be shipped to the Pacific prior to the Leyte Gulf Operations in October 44? It is possible that he went later to the Pacific as indicated by the 2 campaign stars on the Asiatic Pacific ribbon... the 130th Infantry Regiment was an Illinois National Guard Unit that saw action at New Guinea and Luzon in the Pacific..

I'm also not a huge fan of the Combat Infantry Badge.. It looks modern.. even with the "correct WW2" clasps these can be very easily swapped out.. I would like to see better pictures of the front and back of the CIB.

The overseas hashmarks (3) indicate only a year and 6 months overseas. If the Soldier was with the Division when it left the states for Ireland in October of 1943 one year later would be October 1944 and 6 months would be April 1945.. Something doesn't add up here.. (again pure speculation to the dates the Soldier arrived at and left the 2nd ID to go the Pacific...

Take all the pin on insignia off which leaves the 2 shoulder patches, the rank insignia, the overseas and service hashmarks and the ruptured duck and the uniform is most likely correct..

No collar discs so was the Soldier Infantry with the 2nd and then Ordnance in the Pacific? This could make sense given the 8th Army current assignment patch, but why the 130th Infantry Crest on the Ordnance Garrison Cap? Possibly assigned to them, but most likely just placed on the garrison cap...

There are numerous examples of Soldiers serving in both Europe and the Pacific but there is a little more evidence of such things happening, without a name to trace or other information it is an Ike Jacket with insignia attached...

It is still nice, interesting too..

Others may also have some better theories..

Smitty

I really appreciate the thoughts Smitty!

You have some interesting theories when it comes to this odd example of an Ike jacket. Thankfully I got a fairly good deal on it, so if it turns out to be no good it won't bother me all that much. I would certainly prefer it to be a concrete example though. I'll post some detailed photos of the CIB for you. If it is a post war example, then there is a good chance of the other insignia being added post war as well.

Thanks again for your insight!

Best Regards- Jarret

Here are some photos of the CIB from this jacket

Best regards- Jarret

Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?

Defiantly a more modern or Repro CIB not ww2 vintage.
    I am fairly confident that the 2nd Infantry Patch and the rank chevrons are all reapplied,

Morris

Jarrett,

The CIB is good. I guess it was light that was throwing me.. But this is a nice solid Sterling WW2 CIB..

No worries here..

And again, my speculations are just that,,, I may be way off on my assessment but I look at the uniform as a whole and try to dissect and get inside the mindset of a WW2 Soldier...

Since we weren't there and it isn't named it just adds a little more excitement to solving the puzzle..

Stay safe my friend..

El Paso is not doing good...

Smitty

P.S.

Here is another WW2 era Sterling CIB.. Looks very similar to yours, mine is from a 76th Infantry Division Sergeant's uniform.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?   Does This Ike Jacket Make Sense?  

Just a small tip, with the patches, take a look on the inside shoulder, it can sometime indicate how long a patch has been there and can show traces of any possible previously sewn ones too. Nice Ike.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jarrett,

The CIB is good. I guess it was light that was throwing me.. But this is a nice solid Sterling WW2 CIB..

No worries here..

And again, my speculations are just that,,, I may be way off on my assessment but I look at the uniform as a whole and try to dissect and get inside the mindset of a WW2 Soldier...

Since we weren't there and it isn't named it just adds a little more excitement to solving the puzzle..

Stay safe my friend..

El Paso is not doing good...

Smitty

P.S.

Here is another WW2 era Sterling CIB.. Looks very similar to yours, mine is from a 76th Infantry Division Sergeant's uniform.
    I question the quality of finish on this CIB the moulding and stamping is very soft. The oakleaves on the left are barely formed, as with the Stirling stamp.

Just my opinion but i would not be overly happy with this one.

Looks right to me, I have a pair that are very similar.

Again I would say the finish/moulding on yours are better than the OPs, however its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast