Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

garage sale foind

Article about: Dear collectors! Bought at garage sale WW2 66 USA division uniform. Would like to here about your opinion if this is a real thing and what it's worth today. Thank you in advance

Default garage sale foind

Dear collectors!
    Bought at garage sale WW2 66 USA division uniform.
    Would like to here about your opinion if this is a real thing and what it's worth today.
    Thank you in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture garage sale foind   garage sale foind  

garage sale foind   garage sale foind  

garage sale foind  

MAP
    ?

The uniform is original. But the more learned members will have to tell you what era it is from.

A few quick tips.

1) We are happy to evaluate items for authentication but we do not provide a monetary valuation. It is too subjective.

2) Photos. The quality of photos is acceptable but they are all coming out rotated. This is a common problem, especially for new members. I am assuming you are uploading photos directly from your phone. this is a particular problem with iPhones and in some cases Androids. It is best that you down load the photos to your desktop. Once downloaded, even if they appear to be rotated correctly, in the photo software you use, rotate it 360 degrees and save it and upload. If this does not work, you can do a quick edit each photo (i.e. cropping) and then save and then re upload. This seems to do the trick. You can also try these steps directly on your phone but it doesn't always work.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like a nice US Army Corporal's wool shirt, But I am not a patch expert, So I'll let those folks comment on that part.

I cant make out the year of the date on the tag??

Nice Find!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by MAP View Post
    1) We are happy to evaluate items for authentication but we do not provide a monetary valuation. It is too subjective.
    And it results in the Forum being used as a "drop in" valuation service!

The 66th patch does look to have a cut rather than merrowed edge so that would make it older as opposed to later but whether that means WWII I couldn't say (but the Division did not have a long history) as mine is only "general knowledge" where patches are concerned. The only thing I would say is that the patch isn't ultra rare and tends to retail in the low double figures. Patch collectors tend to want only the patch not the garment so the interest will be to uniform collectors. I don't know if 66th Div items are sought by collectors but I do know the Div deployed from the US in late'44 and was on the Leopoldsville when it was torpedoed in the English Channel losing hundreds of men. Their mission in Europe was essentially "mopping up" of enemy left behind the front as it retreated back to Germany. The Div was inactivated when it left theatre in '45.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Looks really nice and looks to be in good shape.

Calloway

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looks like a nice US Army Corporal's wool shirt, But I am not a patch expert, So I'll let those folks comment on that part.

I cant make out the year of the date on the tag??

Nice Find!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I see May 16, 19xx?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks like May 16, 1942 to me. Not worth a whole lot I don’t think but it is a nice shirt in great shape.

A nice looking early war wool shirt. The manufacturers tag has two dates, the date this was made 1942 and the date of this particular model of shirt which is 1941. I won't comment on the division insignia only to say it is WW2 era and that the 66th did have a bit of history in WW2, their first losses during the torpedo attack and sinking of the transport,,, so I would speculate that this shirt was worn during mustering out/discharge. The cross stitching of the Corporal stripes indicate that this Soldier had some time to sew the chevrons on and he wanted the uniform shirt to look sharp or the tailor he took the shirt to had time to do this work. If this had been a combat shirt, more than likely this type of cross stitching to attach a patch to a uniform would not have been normal. Also due to the new condition that this shirt is in, again I would strongly lean towards this being a dress shirt worn at mustering out.

Now some may ask if the war ended in 45 why is the Shirt a 41/42 dated shirt? Wouldn't the Soldier have had later dated uniform shirts.. Well the answer is yes and no.. This could have been issued at the reception station while supplies of these still were in abundance and by the time the unit was sent overseas the Soldier received newer shirts and this shirt found it's way to the bottom of the duffel bag or it remained in the states and was sent home by the Soldier...

I have several dress uniform coats and shirts that have this particular type of cross stitching that the Soldier's used to spruce up the look of the uniform to impress the ladies and others.. Not uncommon..

The value is subjective as indicated and these uniform shirts are still quite common. Some collectors try to have a patched uniform or shirt from each division that fought in WW2 and others who specialize specifically in the history of a division like the 66th may find interest. It looks like a partial serial number L-7001 which may be researchable to find the Soldier who wore this uniform.

A nice clean example of an early war produced shirt that survived 75 plus years..

Smitty

Hi guys!
    So surprised you gave me so much information in a blink of an eye!!
    Great many THANKS to everybody for your Knowledge of History and Research abilities and Generosity in sharing the info!
    Just in case I have couple more pics if they will be of interest.
    THANKS A LOT!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture garage sale foind   garage sale foind  

garage sale foind   garage sale foind  

Thank you Mark for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast