Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Battledress

Article about: I am unfamiliar and very new with my knowledge with the British Battledress. Reading various posts have help me quite a bit but I would like to get some expert opinions, thoughts and knowled

?

Default Help with Battledress

I am unfamiliar and very new with my knowledge with the British Battledress. Reading various posts have help me quite a bit but I would like to get some expert opinions, thoughts and knowledge on this new subject. I recently picked up this, what i believe is a British Battledress. I believe the Black Cat patch is a version of the 56th Infantry Division. But I don't know the blue patch, with the Gold Crown represents.
    It also appeared that the size/date tag next to the Broadarrow 1280 (or 1290)stamp has been removed.
    I would like some thoughts as to the authenticity of this jacket, the patches, Rifle Brigade Rockers and the year/WW2/Post WW2 etc?. Also in one of the pockets, I found an unknown "Crown" patch.
    Any other information about this Battledress would be greatly appreciated.

ATTACH=CONFIG]1153701[/ATTACH]Help with BattledressHelp with BattledressHelp with BattledressHelp with BattledressHelp with BattledressHelp with BattledressHelp with Battledress Help with BattledressHelp with Battledress
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Battledress  

It is the 1949 pattern BD with kings Crown insignia, so prior to 1953 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...dress#Post_war

Th cat is the 56th London Division(post 1950)the other likely associated with the occupation, but does not appear to be T Force.

From spring 1946 a number of surplus Rifle Brigade subalterns were transferred to No. 1 T-Force, a British Army unit which was active in the Ruhr. Their role was to carry out reparations work, evacuating military and industrial equipment needed to rebuild British industry. The 1st Battalion went on to serve in the Mau Mau Uprising in Kenya in 1954 and the Malayan Emergency in 1956.[52]

Amalgamations[edit]
    The 1st Battalion was renamed the 3rd Green Jackets, The Rifle Brigade in 1958 and was amalgamated with the 1st Green Jackets (43rd and 52nd) and the King's Royal Rifle Corps to form the Royal Green Jackets on 1 January 1966.[5]

?

Thanks for the info... and the background and history.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Th cat is the 56th London Division(post 1950)the other likely associated with the occupation, but does not appear to be T Force.
    56th (London) Division is correct. However, if I might expand;

During WWII Black cat on red ground without the sword (cat also seen with white outline) = 56th (london) Infantry Division.

Post WWII (1950) Black cat on red ground with red sword = 56th (london) Armoured Division which was a Territorial Army ie a reserve division (between 1947 - 50 the formation sign was a red sword behind a blue knights helmet on white ground). So this is not a regular line formation by this time.

The yellow crown and crossed swords on blue ground was formerly the 2nd pattern formation sign for 54th Infantry Division but (by the date of this uniform) it was adopted by Eastern Command when it changed title to Eastern District post war.

As a matter of further interest The Royal Green Jackets as mentioned above have been further amalgamated with several other regiments to form one of the so called "super regiments" (in terms of size ie 7 battalions), "The Rifles" an emmotive title dating back to the Penninsular campaign.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for the expanded history. For my own interest and curiosity, with your educated guess, what do you think the history of the soldier who may have worn this BD? WW2 Vet? a new soldier? Stationed in England? Stationed abroad? Thanks

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Thanks for the expanded history. For my own interest and curiosity, with your educated guess, what do you think the history of the soldier who may have worn this BD? WW2 Vet? a new soldier? Stationed in England? Stationed abroad? Thanks
    A perfectly reasonable question and one I would certainly be asking in your position.

Well, as mentioned above this is the 1949 pattern which for the first time was configured in the same style for officers and other ranks (EM) though it has always been common for officers to wear private purchase tailored uniforms rather than the issue item (officers get grants and have to buy most kit but combat uniform, which battledress is, is always issued) but at this time an officer would likely have both as BD was also worn as a "best" uniform. Your uniform is an issue type notwithstanding the missing label and with the crown on one epaulette (there should be one on each side) we must assume that this is the uniform of a major (the first field rank and that held by a company commander or equivalent post). As in the US Army to become a major an officer would have first been; 2Lt (US Lt), Lt (US 1st Lt) and Capt so this is not exactly a junior officer just entering service and would most likely have had 5 - 10 years service on average so he could be a WWII vet but the absence of any medal ribbons tends to suggest otherwise unless there is evidence of their removal?

As I said above, by the time this uniform was in wear 56 Div was a TA formation (ie reserves like the USNG) so that in itself goes against service outside the UK at that time. The Eastern District formation sign is relevant directly to service in that formation and it being a static formation (it was previously Eastern Command) was centered on HQ in Colchester in Essex which is a county of England immediately North-East of London (the Greater London boundary covers parts of Essex). So, a TA officer serving in a UK command (whilst he was wearing that patch) and no medal ribbons suggests; a field grade officer of a reserve unit with only post war service limited to UK.

I am sure there are similar descriptions in the US to what is sometimes disparagingly called a "weekend warrior". Even worse, within the service and not always tongue in cheek the TA are sometimes referred to as STABs (Stupid TA B**t**ds) which is always countered with the mnemonic ARABs (Arrogant Regular Army B**t**ds). Not as aggressive or hostile as it may seem to those outside the world of the British miltary system. I have encountered in circumstances where both types of soldier drink a bar called "The STABs and ARABs"

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."