Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Unknown Ike jacket

Article about: Hello everyone. Here I'm posting a recent barn find which I can not identify. It's some sort of ike jacket made from wool. It's in dark grey colour. It lacks epaulettes but they weren't cut

?

Default Help! Unknown Ike jacket

Hello everyone.
    Here I'm posting a recent barn find which I can not identify. It's some sort of ike jacket made from wool. It's in dark grey colour. It lacks epaulettes but they weren't cut of. It seems that it could be reworked in someway based on used material - the interior is sewn from fine blue and pink-ish cloth (it is found on the inside of the pocket and in the interior of some parts i.e. sleeves. There is no trace of producton label or any other markings at all.
    It was found in Slovenia where Tito's partisans operated on italian and later german occupied area. The partisans were commonly aided by the british via airdrops. The supplies included everything from cloth, uniforms, arms, ammo, food etc... I should mention the also find also included british tanker coveralls and some other ww2 related objects hence posting this in the western allies subforum.
    Now I know this information is far from any definite conclusions as the jacket might also be civil or post war or personal military production (possibly partisan). I am asking for pointing me to the direction of what it is. Does the cut fits the british or some other ally cut? Can the used material, buttons be recognized...
    Thank you all in advance.
    Help! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacketHelp! Unknown Ike jacket

Tough call for me! UK made US war aid jacket mostly used by the USAAF but I'm not all sure, never had one.

It is an interesting garment!

My mind first went to a pattern '40 British jacket, considering these are often seen without the pocket pleats and were made with war budget in mind. But the lack of shoulder straps and the general construction of the jacket makes me think probably not British (or American), but perhaps still Commonwealth or ally, such as French or Greek.

One last note, I am not sure it started life as an 'ike' style jacket. Is it just my eyes or is the thread on the waist strap different to the above?

Looks more like a British battle dress uniform to me too. Of course who’s to say it isn’t a locally made jacket?

?

Thank you for your opinions. Looking back at the posted photos I will take better ones and inspect the garment in more details. There are a few threads seen, true. The one on the waist strap is main thread, also seen on different parts of the jacket. Some threads where the cloth was torn or removed (on the other side of the collar) are different color. It is possible it was reworked in some way or even it was locally made. I am not even sure if it is ww2 or post war or civilian although lack of shoulder boards is very common when talking about partisan forces...but usually they just cut them off. I will post other photos when I get a chance.

?

The fabric looks very German to me.. as if re-tailored from a mid- to late-war tunic.
    For what purpose, when, and by whom are all wide open to conjecture.
    I like it!

It’s certainly not a British garment, by the way..
    Even if it is a homemade working jacket, of the postwar era, it’s very interesting.

?

Thank you Kohima. Now that you've mentioned it, it does look like German fabric. I don't really collect german militaria so i haven't really noticed it. A friend confirmed it. I hope we're coming closer to identifying it. I will post additional photos.

?

Looking at the machined buttonholes to each lapel, I’m starting to think it may have started life as a greatcoat.. That would also have provided sufficient fabric for the lining.. And explain the re-tailored collar.. And the handmade pocket flaps..

Double checking, I think the lapel buttonholes may be hand-sewn. Difficult to tell.
    But I’m still favouring a greatcoat.. of some origin.

?

As promised I took some detailed photos of the jacket. I will post them in separated replies just to be clear.

1. Buttons: - buttons on pockets, main jacket buttons and button on waist strap.
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket

2. Buttonholes: all button holes seem to be hand stitched (lapel and front). The reverse side from buttoning point shows former buttonholes that had been closed/stitched (3. photo)
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket Help! Unknown Ike jacket
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket

?

Continuing from previous post...

3. Collar: It seems to be different kind of material sewed in but very similar to the general fabric.

Help! Unknown Ike jacket Help! Unknown Ike jacket
    Help! Unknown Ike jacket

4. Waist strap

Help! Unknown Ike jacket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast