Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID’d Test pilot’s jacket

Article about: I recently picked up this cool Air Force jacket on auction, and after getting it in the mail I found that it was hiding a few surprises. I found a clearly written name and laundry number beh

Default ID’d Test pilot’s jacket

I recently picked up this cool Air Force jacket on auction, and after getting it in the mail I found that it was hiding a few surprises. I found a clearly written name and laundry number behind the collar, and inside one of the pockets an old receipt from the railway express agency.

ID’d Test pilot’s jacketID’d Test pilot’s jacketID’d Test pilot’s jacket

After doing some research on the name, I was able to dig up some rather interesting information behind the man who this jacket belonged to. On a website dedicated to the preservation of historical buildings in Kansas, I found this.

ID’d Test pilot’s jacket

It appears this man served as a test pilot during the war! In addition to this really neat history, it also appears that after the war Mr Kapfer became a distinguished architect. In the end I’m very glad that I threw my bid on this jacket. You never know the history you may be able to uncover when you buy uniforms like these.

Just thought I would share this cool find with you guys!

Best regards- Jarret

A fantastic find, Jarret. Glad to finally see it, after you mentioned it to me via PM. A real hidden gem.

Regards, B.B.

Nice looking jacket there. Good find!

Calloway

Very interesting. Rather meteoric rise to test pilot status. He was finished at high school in 1943, the war was over 2 years later. It does suggest he had natural flying ability. Be interesting to research any war service he had, test pilots were often combat veterans who had done their tour.

MAP
    ?

Nice Jarret. Interesting he didn't continue flying. Test Pilots are pretty fearless guys I have heard.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I'm pretty curious to find out more about this man's service. As a test pilot I would assume he flew some pretty crazy aircraft. Everything from experimental U.S. designs, to captured axis aircraft. I'm going to continue researching this man. Since it appears he was a rather well known business owner in his community, i'm sure there's more information to be found about him.

Best regards- Jarret

?

Excellent jacket Jarret, Your on a roll with these goodies,
    I believe that jacket would be his Flight Cadet uniform with that patch on the right sleeve.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Just looking up that laundry number here.

It says he enlisted on 14 March 1944.
    View Record: John F. Kapfer - 17136862 | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

It really nice to know the name when looking at laundry numbers. Other wise you would be searching 42 records

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 03-04-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added comment

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Excellent jacket Jarret, Your on a roll with these goodies,
    I believe that jacket would be his Flight Cadet uniform with that patch on the right sleeve.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil!

I was trying to find out what that patch was by researching it in a reference book I purchased recently. I couldn't find it in the book, so you definitely helped me there! I didn't even know what to call this type of jacket until I saw your response. It just goes to show I still have much to learn.

I think it's safe to say that i'm hooked on U.S. uniforms now. I just can't stop buying them!

Best regards- Jarret

?

My pleasure Jarret.
    Here is a snip from WiKi about that program.

" Flight cadet insignia was worn on the lower right sleeve."

Now you need to look for the visor they wore with the big propeller on it

I was trying to find a pic. I'll have to dig in to my references

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 03-04-2020 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast