Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID'd 1st Army Uniform Group

Article about: First of all I would like to give fellow member 'MAP' a HUGE thank you for giving me the lead on this grouping. If it wasn't for him none of these awesome items would have made it into my co

Default ID'd 1st Army Uniform Group

First of all I would like to give fellow member 'MAP' a HUGE thank you for giving me the lead on this grouping. If it wasn't for him none of these awesome items would have made it into my collection.

Thanks to MAP I was recently able to get in contact with the relatives of a WWII veteran. Specifically the veterans daughter and son-in-law. They had found some pieces of militaria that belonged to their father/father-in-law and decided it was time to pass them on to someone who would appreciate them. I ended up getting a rather large group of uniform related items from this family.

All the pieces shown here belonged to "Ralph C. Wharff Jr". His ASN is 31000836. He served with the U.S. First Army in the quartermaster corps. During his service he was awarded the bronze star for merit. The family was very kind in providing me a copy of his award citation, so I actually know what he did in order to win the award. He was in for the long haul as he has a total of five battle stars on his European theater ribbon. Interestingly I got a red piped garrison cap and an (Artillery?) patched shirt. Judging from a photo the family shared it appears this man wasn't always with the quartermaster corps. I guess the artillery shirt and cap date from his prewar service?

All in all I couldn't be more happy with everything I got! The family ended up finding a pair of old binoculars that belonged to this vet, and they are currently on the way to me. As soon as they arrive I'll be sure to show them here.

ID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform GroupID'd 1st Army Uniform Group
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 08-31-2021 at 03:14 AM.

Bloody brilliant set there Jarret Mate!!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Bloody brilliant set there Jarret Mate!!
    Thanks Rene!! I'm certainly proud of this set.

I have to agree with Rene on this, really great group and thank you for sharing it with us!

I just got some exiting news.

Apparently the family has found even more militaria that belonged to this vet. They haven't explained what exactly the items are, but they told me they'll send me pictures of it soon. Fingers crossed I'll be able to buy whatever they found and keep the history with the uniform.

Sad that a family does not care for their own history, but glad it found a good home.
    Morris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    Sad that a family does not care for their own history, but glad it found a good home.
    Morris
    It appears they care to some degree. They mentioned holding on to this vets medals 'Including the bronze star' but have decided to sell the rest of the items. You would think they would want everything or nothing at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Great pick up Jarret, now you need a upper torso manikin to display this great find.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    It appears they care to some degree. They mentioned holding on to this vets medals 'Including the bronze star' but have decided to sell the rest of the items. You would think they would want everything or nothing at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Jarret,

Pretty fantastic grouping. There are a few more items here than I was aware off and the added paperwork really tops it off. Keep us updated on what else you may be able to get.

Now, as far as the family letting it go. This grouping was referred to me by a friend (and member here) who was kind enough to give me the lead. My friend and the family however wanted to ensure that these items went to someone who would appreciate the history and keep it together.

Jarret immediately came to mind.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Jarret,

Pretty fantastic grouping. There are a few more items here than I was aware off and the added paperwork really tops it off. Keep us updated on what else you may be able to get.

Now, as far as the family letting it go. This grouping was referred to me by a friend (and member here) who was kind enough to give me the lead. My friend and the family however wanted to ensure that these items went to someone who would appreciate the history and keep it together.

Jarret immediately came to mind.
    I was pretty surprised to see those extra items myself. You nor the family made any mention of the shirts or sweater vests. I actually got two vests but only showed one here on the thread. Needless to say it was a very welcome surprise!

You have no idea how much this means to me. It's because of you that I was able to add this awesome chunk of history to my collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast