Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

IKE Jacket question

Article about: Can anyone tell me what the bar is under the SSGT chevron? Thanks

B36
    ?

Default IKE Jacket question

Can anyone tell me what the bar is under the SSGT chevron? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IKE Jacket question  

This is the Combat Leader Stripe, the precursor to the Army Leader Green tabs that were/are worn on the leaders shoulders.

This was approved in World War Two and had been used off and on through the war by some units. Not all adopted this method of identifying the combat leaders.

I just finished a section for the US Army NCO Museum storyline that will highlight the history of the Combat Leader stripes and green tabs that leaders wore.

Hope this helps

Smitty

I turned your image so we can view it.

P.S.

A nice OD Border 5th Infantry Division shoulder patch

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IKE Jacket question  

B36
    ?

Thank you! It's my father-in-law's uniform. The ribbons were removed and placed in a shadow box by another family member. He was in the 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Division. 5 campaign stars on the European Theater Ribbon. He arrived in England then Ireland, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia. He was drafted with a friend. They were in the 11th Infantry Regiment and they both survived the war. Thanks again, Rich

Thanks for posting Rich, great story and lucky they both returned home safely.

Rich,

Here are some attached memos and letters that outline the Combat Leader stripes from WW2 and Post WW2. The print is not the best on the WW2 mimeograph but we are in the process of trying to obtain a better scanned copy from our sources.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IKE Jacket question   IKE Jacket question  

IKE Jacket question   IKE Jacket question  

IKE Jacket question  
    Attached Images Attached Images IKE Jacket question 

B36
    ?

They remained friends for life. Two of their children are married.