Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Need Help Appraising M1941 Field Jacket and an Officer's Overcoat

Article about: Hi guys, I have a couple of uniform pieces in my WW II US uniform collection and was wondering if anyone here can give me their opinion as to their potential value. First is my M1941 field j

?

Default Need Help Appraising M1941 Field Jacket and an Officer's Overcoat

Hi guys,

I have a couple of uniform pieces in my WW II US uniform collection and was wondering if anyone here can give me their opinion as to their potential value.

First is my M1941 field jacket. It is close to perfecr condition, missing the lower front button:

Next up is my Unissued Officer's Overcoat. This coat still has the original size tag as can be seen in the second and third photos:

More photos can be seen on my Flickr page:

WW II US Uniforms - a set on Flickr

Thanks,

Gary

Default Re: Need Help Appraising M1941 Field Jacket and an Officer's Overcoat

Hi Gary, I used to wear M41 jackets back in the 80's. These were £25 back then. I even had an M38. (Wish I still had that one)

Good original M41's with no repairs are now hard to find. The only real drawback with yours, if you are "picky" is the small size (in today's terms) and the one missing button. Value: I saw one for sale yesterday for £300! Eek! But I think a realistic value would be around £200 now? Fakes of these are really nicely made. They do look real. Many friends of mine are US re-enactors and the kit is very good. We used to wear everything (even the underwear!) original. No such thing as repro back then. I killed a few jackets through wear...

The Officers coat is again nice. I could only guess at a value now? I stopped collecting US over 20 years ago now and have not really stopped to look at the price of these lately. £150? I am guessing here.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Also your M41 is the long model if you compare this to the “standard” cut version you’ll see this is quite different I’m also sure that I read somewhere years back this version has an extra button due to length, as to jackets I owned I too had an m38, which had its original rank insignia on it , and also its division patch which was 2nd Cavalry and did occasionally wear it at shows and also at 1992 veterans reunion at Deenthorpe airfield, unfortunately soon after that I loaned this to a local WWII airfield museum and due to poor storage on there part the jacket was attack by a rodent at some point which had a good meal out of the right arm, lining and all, so my jacket survived for 50 years including a world war and was destroyed by a bloody rat or mouse!

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Also your M41 is the long model if you compare this to the “standard” cut version you’ll see this is quite different I’m also sure that I read somewhere years back this version has an extra button due to length, as to jackets I owned I too had an m38, which had its original rank insignia on it , and also its division patch which was 2nd Cavalry and did occasionally wear it at shows and also at 1992 veterans reunion at Deenthorpe airfield, unfortunately soon after that I loaned this to a local WWII airfield museum and due to poor storage on there part the jacket was attack by a rodent at some point which had a good meal out of the right arm, lining and all, so my jacket survived for 50 years including a world war and was destroyed by a bloody rat or mouse!

Nige.
    Sorry to hear about your jacket Nige. That story might make others a bit more cautious about lending out pieces of their collections.

As far as my M1941 being a long version, is that a good thing? Are they seen less frequently than the "standard" length jacket?