Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need a Little Help with an RCAF Uniform

Article about: Hi everyone! I found this at the local antique shop (in Denver no less) and I’m interested in grabbing it when payday rolls around. My question is, what is the red ribbon with the three wh

Default Need a Little Help with an RCAF Uniform

Hi everyone!

I found this at the local antique shop (in Denver no less) and I’m interested in grabbing it when payday rolls around. My question is, what is the red ribbon with the three white stripes? I’ve tried doing google searches, but can’t find a definitive answer.

Need a Little Help with an RCAF UniformNeed a Little Help with an RCAF Uniform

I believe it's the Medal of military valour ( Canadian) Regards Paul

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    I believe it's the Medal of military valour ( Canadian) Regards Paul
    It certainly has that appearance, but that medal was established in 1993. From what I’ve read, it can be awarded retroactively, but it seems to fit in with the other two WWII-specific medals.

?

Because it has the rosette I think its the Canadian Forces Decoration Canadian Forces' Decoration - Wikipedia - very similar ribbon. First issued in 1951 so fits better with the WWII medal ribbons.

The rosette is only worn on this ribbon bar Access Denied.

Steve.

I think the key is also going to be in the crown and in this case the crown is for King George.. (I believe) so this would make the uniform WW2 era..??? Again I think, not too well versed on Commonwealth insignia but I was told by a friend to look at the crown and see who was reigning at the time.

I think the red and white ribbon is the Canadian Forces Decoration. There were two of them I believe, the first one being the older with King George VI embossed on the front and the second one with Queen Elizabeth II embossed on the front but Steve just brought up the Rossette so it would be Elizabeth..

Smitty

Smitty,

Are you referring to the crown on the ribbon or the wings?

?

He's referring to the one one the winged badge, it changes when the monarch changes. If it is a kings crown (needs a better photo to be sure), that makes it pre-1952 and with the medal not being issued until 1951 it narrows it down to a single year.

The jacket should be dated and possibly named inside.

Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 07-11-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Ah… I get it now. Thank you. My knowledge of commonwealth militaria only goes so far as identifying it as such. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

I reckon you guys have nailed it! Canadian forces medal with 1 rosette for 22 years service. Defo a Kings crown on those wings. Regards Paul

Interesting. Sounds like this is a mid-Korean war uniform then!