Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Zealand BD's WW2

Article about: G'day all, Here's two pattern variations of NZ BD's that are deep in the junk pile (these are not junk by the way) I haven't played with these for years!! Pictures are from my photo archive.

Default New Zealand BD's WW2

G'day all,
    Here's two pattern variations of NZ BD's that are deep in the junk pile (these are not junk by the way) I haven't played with these for years!!
    Pictures are from my photo archive.

These are great BD's, I like the bottom one especially, the shoulder titles are really nice. Thanks for sharing!

The NZ flashed one '43 did come with these ribbon bars in the pocket!

Great example Rene, and the ribbon bar tells the story of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that arrive in Greece first to try and slow the German advance there, evaculated to Crete, resisted the German invasion there, then evacuated to Egypt where the NZ Division incorporated into the Eight Army involved with the great battles with the Afrika Korp, then on to Italy fighting their way up the boot ending in Northern Italy with the wars end. That's a fairly typical ribbon bar for many NZ WW2 veterans.

New Zealand BD's WW2

Well, why not? Upham.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Great example Rene, and the ribbon bar tells the story of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force that arrive in Greece first to try and slow the German advance there, evaculated to Crete, resisted the German invasion there, then evacuated to Egypt where the NZ Division incorporated into the Eight Army involved with the great battles with the Afrika Korp, then on to Italy fighting their way up the boot ending in Northern Italy with the wars end. That's a fairly typical ribbon bar for many NZ WW2 veterans.

New Zealand BD's WW2

Well, why not? Upham.
    No VC on ribbon bar and Charles didn't serve in Italy. Too busy frustrating the guards at Colditz. Although the Battledress wouldn't look out of place on a Mannequin depicting Upham. If you get sick of this "junk" you know where to find me!

Quote by Anderson View Post

New Zealand BD's WW2

Well, why not? Upham.
    Cheers Anderson

"No VC on ribbon bar and Charles didn't serve in Italy. "
    Of course Peter, the BD jacket is obviously not Uphams, merely gracing our screens as an example of the NZ BD jacket being worn.

I like my NZ battledress, the trousers are far less itchy to wear than the Canadian ones I have !

I painted my Jeep and marked it up to represent the 2nd NZ Division in Sicily as I feel they are massively under represented for the losses they sustained ,a higher percentage than any other Commonwealth country I believe.

As for itchy trousers, it's all about quality of the wool and how well it was "carded" (I believe the term is) at the mill to removed organic material, such as prickles and thorns that attach themselves to sheep. Apart from that, NZ Wool is better quality!

New Zealand BD's WW2

Another look at itch-free battledress. New Zealand 21st Battalion in Italy 1944.

Roger M
    In Italy the NZ division was complete with Artillery, Armour, Infantry, Signals and the necessary support units(self reliant).
    It was therefore deployed more readily for this reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast