Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform

Article about: Is this the rarest WW2 camouflage uniform type to survive to present day? The story; In 1941 the standard combat uniform of the NZ Army in tropical zones was khaki cotton drill. At the begin

Hi Anderson,
    Are you still interested in NZ Pacific camouflage clothing?
    I have a number of pieces as well as some of the equipment.
    Please can you PM me.
    Thanks
    Barry

?

Hi,

I've just recently become interested and am looking to learn more about the NZ 3rd Division's camo uniform. I've seen a few cases of US P42 trousers being used, does anyone know why there doesn't seem to be any P42 jackets to match?

Also, if someone could help me out with a clear image that shows the original camo pattern - so that I could try and replicate it using a reproduction KD shirt or Bush Jacket.

Thanks!

Are you referring to the USMC P1942 "frogskin" jacket? As you say some trousers were used and lightly over sprayed green to give a darker effect but I'm not aware of the frogskin camo jacket being used. It may have been a availability issue, simply not available. The USMC only first started using these camo suits in combat in mid 1943.
    Secondly the reason the NZ Pacific camo uniform was developed was partly due to a need for the troops to be kitted out in NZ made uniforms. They used US HBT fatigues at Vella Lavella, but got a bit of a ribbing from US soldiers as being "dressed by the US". That was the reason almost all the uniforms used post Vella Lavella were New Zealand made KD.

?

Hi,

What a great thread!!
    I will start paying more attention when I'm out looking.
    I think I might have seen a shirt and bag many years ago, I remember thinking the camo looked painted on or dyed.
    I probably thought it was a home job by a hunter and dismissed it.

Time to educate myself a bit more and look with new eyes.

Cheers,

?

Thanks for the info, interesting to know why the NZ troops sought their own native uniform!

Now as for producing a copy, I've been looking into the uniform items that were used.

Would you say that this type of jacket fits the 4 pocket jackets that were made into camo? It seems to fit with the photographs that have been posted:
    - What Price Glory - UK WWII pattern Aertex Khaki Drill Bush Jacket

As for the NZ shirt, at first I assumed it would be either the Aertex KD shirt or the Australian produced tropical shirt:
    - What Price Glory - UK WWII Aertex Desert Shirts
    - What Price Glory - Australian Pattern KD Tropical Shirts

But neither of these seem to match the squared off pockets that I saw in the photographs posted here, would you say that this 'Canadian' KD shirt better represents the NZ KD shirts?
    - What Price Glory - Canadian Pattern Khaki Drill Shirt

On the topic of US HBT's, I haven't been able to glean much from photographs, but outside of the P42 camo trousers did NZ troops make use of the P41 HBT's, or the Army HBT's without making them into camo items? As the Australians did; seen in the illustration here: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/39/8c...b790fbc309.jpg )

for information on use of the US HBT uniform, see here.....

Photos of New Zealand Army wearing US made HBT uniform, Pacific 1943

The camouflage uniform was made from NZ made khaki drill, with minor exception earlier mentioned, the USMC trousers.

?

Thanks for that link, another very interesting post that I found very helpful.

Seems to be a mix of the '1st Pattern' and '2nd pattern' sage green Army HBT uniforms, would that be right?

EDIT: Just a follow up on this, between the two patterns of HBT uniform used by Kiwis do you know if there is a 'most' accurate option, for collecting/reenactment purposes.
    Last edited by FinMC; 04-28-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Hi to all,
    for more information on this New Zealand made and the US used clothing I suggest these books
    New Zealand Army Uniforms and Clothing 1910-1945
    New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945
    The New Zealand Expeditionary Force in WW2, Osprey Publishing MAA 486

Or you can PM me and I will supply photos of items and evidenced based research on the topic.
    In my collection I have the NZ camo, US HBT and the KD uniforms that they camouflaged.
    Barry

Barry you could post some of your excellent photos right here on this thread.

NZ Pacific Camouflage
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform   New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform  

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform   New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform  

New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform   New Zealand Pacific War Camouflage uniform  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast