Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacket

Article about: Greetings Aussie experts! Even though I have Australian family I live in Europe and focus my collecting on mainly British and Continental uniforms and equipment. As you can guess, Aussie ite

Default Opinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacket

Greetings Aussie experts! Even though I have Australian family I live in Europe and focus my collecting on mainly British and Continental uniforms and equipment. As you can guess, Aussie items don't appear very often here and experts are few and far between.

I just picked up this 1st pattern SD jacket in France. After trawling through my books and online it seems to be genuine. But the label and date have been removed, which always makes me nervous. There are also some stamps on the cotton lining which someone may be able to identify. One of them seems to be a broad arrow and SA (South Australia?).

It never had collar badges or titles and seems to be unissued (it's a large size). The minor damage in a couple of places is probably from moths or mice. I'd guess it's a mid-war date from the greener material.

I'm interested in any opinions out there, thanks.

Opinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacket

?

Fabric and sewing all look good in my opinion although I am not familiar with most of those stamps. Can you make out the smaller words? Colour patch looks like an add-on and mounted far too low. Possible someone removed the labels because it was a '46 or '47.

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the shoulder patches - I assumed they had just been added for someone to display the jacket. They're just loosely tacked on. I haven't seen this kind of stamp before either; they make me think of theatre or film stamps but look a little too complicated.

So at the end of the war did Australia return to producing the 1st Pattern jackets, rather than the simplified version? I know British battledress was revised in 1946 and 1949, so I guess this is possible. I've not come across this information before, if it's indeed the case. Can anyone confirm?

Judging from the fact there's no rising sun badges, Australia shoulder titles and manufacturer tag, makes it fairly safe to assume its an unissued patched up example.
    Also the patch seems to be a upside down 2/44th or 44th infantry battalion patch (not 100% certain but looks to be so).
    sources on the patch:
    44th Battalion (Australia) - Wikipedia
    Colour patch sweetheart brooch, 2/44 Infantry Battalion | Australian War Memorial

From what ive seen, the mid to late war service dress (the simplified version) was manufactured post war but the older style service dress I'm unsure of, still its very much possible for them to have been made post war as well, but I'd say its more possible for it to be an 1942 unissued example, of which many still frequently turn up.
    Some examples of post war ones all simplified examples:
    Example 1, likely 1950's-1960's made:
    Opinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacket
    Example 2: 1946 made:
    Opinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacketOpinions on a 1st Pattern Australian SD jacket
    P.S. does it have 1 or 2 unit patches.

Thanks for following up, especially with those post-war examples of simplified SD jackets. Very useful comparisons and definitely an area new to me.

There are two unit patches, both poorly attached to each sleeve. I've no idea if they're original; both have little moth nibbles but look too new to my eyes. They do seem a strange choice of unit to attach like this, given that the battalion never left Australia. I'd assume if you wanted to spice up a jacket for display then a more active unit would be a better choice!

From the evidence I've gathered it seems my jacket is likely to be a mid-war example of the 1st pattern, from just before the simplified version came out. If anyone else out there has any clues about the stamps inside, I'd be glad to hear them.