Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on a KD tunic

Article about: Hello everybody, I have just purchased this KD tunic and I'm bit comfused with the buttons. Has anybody seen a KD tunic with plastic denim tunic's butons? I'm thinking either to leave it as

Default Opinions on a KD tunic

Hello everybody,
    I have just purchased this KD tunic and I'm bit comfused with the buttons. Has anybody seen a KD tunic with plastic denim tunic's butons before?
    I'm thinking either to leave it as it is and set a captain (with rank shoulder slippers - epaulettes) or to replace these buttons with brass ones, for a specific regiment.
    Any thoughts and opinions will be helpful.
    Kind regards,
    Nikos

Opinions on a KD tunicOpinions on a KD tunicOpinions on a KD tunicOpinions on a KD tunic

I doubt the buttons are original to it, though they might be.

Add regimental buttons on rings if you want to, that is fine Imo.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hello Jerry. Thank you for the reply. I have my doubts too about the buttons. I have heard about officers that used to replace buttons to uniforms,but I haven't seen any.. Sorry for asking,but please tell me,what do you mean "rings"? English is not my native language. By the way, I guess it's very hard to find a full set of regimental buttons,plus that I would like to set a more "combat" tunic.. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Nikos

Since we are on the button topic, may I ask how were the british buttons attached on the uniform? Were they sewn on or was there any device that helped make the process faster?

Quote by hibacusa View Post
    Hello Jerry. Thank you for the reply. I have my doubts too about the buttons. I have heard about officers that used to replace buttons to uniforms,but I haven't seen any.. Sorry for asking,but please tell me,what do you mean "rings"? English is not my native language. By the way, I guess it's very hard to find a full set of regimental buttons,plus that I would like to set a more "combat" tunic.. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Nikos
    The buttons are not sewn on, they are attached by metal split rings, making them easy to remove to wash the tunic, nearly all UK officer tropical tunics have removable buttons using rings or pins, as seen in the picture, inn the same manner German DAK uniforms attached their buttons.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on a KD tunic  
    Regards,

Jerry

Many thanks Jerry! I think your reply answers to both questions made by me and Nikos... I asked that because I found a nice KD jacket but without any buttons on it nd I'm considering purchasing it!
    Again thank you for the information provided!

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The buttons are not sewn on, they are attached by metal split rings, making them easy to remove to wash the tunic, nearly all UK officer tropical tunics have removable buttons using rings or pins, as seen in the picture, inn the same manner German DAK uniforms attached their buttons.
    Hello Jerry. Thank you for the reply. So just to double check, I should go for this type of buttons, for a combat - service tunic (or these are only to shirts?).
    Opinions on a KD tunic

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Since we are on the button topic, may I ask how were the british buttons attached on the uniform? Were they sewn on or was there any device that helped make the process faster?

I would use regimental buttons in brass.
    Regards,

Jerry

The buttons you have shown are sew on types, no good for kd tunics imo
    Regards,

Jerry