Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Possible US m37 wool shirt

Article about: Hello! I have what I believe to be an m37 wool shirt, however, it has a grommet hole on each side of the collar. I have never seen this before on an m37. All the tags are too faded to tell w

Default Possible US m37 wool shirt

Hello! I have what I believe to be an m37 wool shirt, however, it has a grommet hole on each side of the collar. I have never seen this before on an m37. All the tags are too faded to tell what exactly it is. I'm not sure if it's some sort of European post war copy or what. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

I'd say it's the fella's personal modification. A tag shot will help.

Thank you Rene! I don't think that is the case because at the surplus store where I purchased it there were multiple with this feature. Unfortunately all the tags are too faded, minus the size stamp on the collar. Everything looks like an m37 except for these holes. There is no gas flap and the cuffs have one button on each. I haven't seen an example anywhere of this.

Haven't played with mine for a while, ya should have bought them all while you could?

Certainly US WW2 and the earlier type with the placard (If I get that term correct) I'm rusty Hey.

Thanks! Maybe just a certain manufacturer did this, not quite sure really. I was fairly certain it was a us m37, but the holes in the collar confused me. Thank you!

Did take a pic of some from my junk pile but it doesn't help your question though
    I grabbed all I could at my Aussie disposals when they had them!

Thanks! I'm definitely gonna pick up the other m37 they had to see if there's any markings or tags still visible.

I have not been able to find this type of shirt in any WW2 clothing records or manufacturers records. One of the better reference books on WW2 clothing and the manufacturers who made them doesn't have this type listed or pictured..

With that said this may have been a US produced shirt but modified used by the Free French Forces which used a lot of US equipment..

It is an interesting shirt and merits more research.. I would like to see what the tag says on other shirts if it is not washed out...

Here is the referenced book information...

Title: Uniforms of the US Army Ground Forces 1939-1945 Volume 3: Shirts
    Author: Charles R. Lemons
    Publisher: Published by the Author
    Year: 2015
    ISBN: 978-1-329-20180-4
    Softback: 115 pages

Smitty