MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Re: RAF Irvin Model 1941 Flying Jacket

Article about: Hi all. I've had this a long time & the condition isn't getting any better. The exterior leather itself is great, nice & supple with just one small repair, armpits good, DOT zips the

Default Re: RAF Irvin Model 1941 Flying Jacket

Hi all. I've had this a long time & the condition isn't getting any better. The exterior leather itself is great, nice & supple with just one small repair, armpits good, DOT zips the main one marked AM, goggle hooks & hanging chain present, good belt & buckle, alas no label but the size is very large(I'm 6'3" & it fitted me the last time I tried it on). The problem is the fleece on the inside is coming off whenever it is touched(even lightly) really. Is there anything that can be done to either stop this or at least slow it down? Many thanks Rob.
    Re: RAF Irvin Model 1941 Flying JacketRe: RAF Irvin Model 1941 Flying JacketRe: RAF Irvin Model 1941 Flying Jacket

Check to see there isn't some insect attack going on. Various pests will happily chew on these natural fibres and just as you would use moth balls and a suit cover to protect a woolen uniform, sheepskin jackets need the same protection. Don't just hang it on a hook by the back door. So might be worth spraying the fleece side with an insecticide. Some of these pests can be really tiny to see. What's lost now unfortunately you won't get back.

Hi there. Many thanks for your comments- much appreciated. Tbh the state of the fleece hasn't changed much in the 10 years+ that I have owned it. I put too much leather feed on it when I got it & was advised to seal it in a bin liner & just leave it flat which I did for 2 or 3 years if I recall. I have looked at the fleece under a X10 loop & can see nothing but of course as you said they may be microscopic. I will have a go with the insect spray but what is gone is gone which is a shame as it's a good jacket in almost every other way not least its size. Thanks again. Rob