MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Artillery Battledress Question

Article about: Hello, I have a question about this 1946 dated Royal Artillery 1940 pattern Battledress blouse. It is badged up for the Middle East Land Forces in Eygpt between 1947 - 1953. It probably belo

Default Royal Artillery Battledress Question

Hello,

I have a question about this 1946 dated Royal Artillery 1940 pattern Battledress blouse. It is badged up for the Middle East Land Forces in Egypt between 1947 - 1953. It probably belonged to a National Service Lance-corporal serving in the Suez Canal zone. My question is with regards to the white cord on the right shoulder, looped four times and stitched onto the jacket under the shoulder strap. I am aware of the use and history of the normal braided lanyard, but I haven't been able to find out the significance of these loops. Are they something added in later years to make the blouse more 'military' or was there a valid reason for the Royal Artillery to use them back in the 1940s / 50s? Do they denote, for example, some role carried out by this individual or is it a local variation in use when the usual lanyard was unavailable? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

I am not aware of any significance of this looped lanyard. Not seen it before. I am inclined to think it was done by the service to look "flash" on a best BD for walking out.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I also thought perhaps for that reason, or maybe worn by a spiv with his tiddly suit.