Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Artillery Rank

Article about: I recently acquired a Royal Artillery Captain rank jacket. I was wondering if those who held the rank of "Temporary Captains" were allowed to wear Captain ranked jackets or was it

Default Royal Artillery Rank

I recently acquired a Royal Artillery Captain rank jacket. I was wondering if those who held the rank of "Temporary Captains" were allowed to wear Captain ranked jackets or was it more of an honourary title and retain their Lieutenant jacket?

Thanks in advance!

Quote by TheSprog View Post
    I recently acquired a Royal Artillery Captain rank jacket. I was wondering if those who held the rank of "Temporary Captains" were allowed to wear Captain ranked jackets or was it more of an honourary title and retain their Lieutenant jacket?

Thanks in advance!
    I expect you are referring to the "War Duration Commision" which during WWI entailed temporary commisions being granted to men from outside the usual "Officer Class" which would endure only as far as the end of hostilities (not quite the same as field promotion) at which point they would revert to their Usual "Social standing!" Just a liitle pompous and condescending perhaps?

The same was done at the start of WWII but thankfully today the system is a little more enlightened.

To answer the original question, yes they did wear the rank just as regular officers because albeit for a limited time they were Lts or Capts. They were collocquially known as "Temporary Gentlement" because they were not actually "Gentlemen" by social status but were tolerated of necessity

This should not be confused with "acting rank" where suitable soldiers are temporarily promoted to backfill a vacant post of higher rank. Acting rank granted by higher echelon is more formal attracts, the pay of the higher rank and can be for a predetermined period subject to renewal. Local acting rank granted by the CO of the unit does not attract the pay but in both cases the relevant rank is worn. However, these circumstances apply to Other Ranks (Enlisted personnel). Officers tend to perform the function of the higher rank whilst retaining the lower rank (unlucky that!) one way of justifying this is by making a post "rank ranged" so that it can be filled by different ranks.

Also, do not confuse the case of soldiers commissioned from the ranks which in most case (again there are exceptions) involves senior warrant officers being selected for what was called (not sure if it still is but the principle remains) a Late Entry (LE) commission which is a career progression usually at the end of the individuals 22 year enlistment allowing the Army to retain and capitalise upon valuable experience (officers generally serve until the age of 55) in roles where maximum benefit of their experience is key.

The short answer is Yes, they did wear the rank.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

When you ask for something to be created you 'Commission' it! When you guarantee its quality and ability you 'Warrant' it. Long live the Warrant Officer!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    When you ask for something to be created you 'Commission' it! When you guarantee its quality and ability you 'Warrant' it. Long live the Warrant Officer!

Hahaha!
    I was expecting something like that from you Rod My sentiments exactly!

I think one must have an intimate knowledge of the vagaries of the Miliitary (maybe specifically British but I doubt it ) to appreciate the pathos,satire and lexical semantics there

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."