Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down

Article about: Hi All, Sharing one more British uniform from my collection. This one is undated but Named to a C. R. Down. The medal ribbon consits of the 1914/1914-1915 star, the WW1 war medal, WW1 Victor

Default Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down

Hi All,

Sharing one more British uniform from my collection. This one is undated but Named to a C. R. Down. The medal ribbon consits of the 1914/1914-1915 star, the WW1 war medal, WW1 Victory medal, WW2 defence medal, WW2 War medal, The Long Service and Good Conduct medal and the Meritorious Service Medal. The tunic itself is in remarkable condition and retains all the buttons, collar insignia and rank pips to Captain.

There's a record for a C.R. Down during WW1 as a Staff Sergeant (Service Number: 18472) in the Royal Engineers. This is a hospital admission and discharge record which shows him aged 30 years old and was discharged back to duty in 1919.
    The next record I can find in 1927 to Warrant Officer 2nd Class C. R. Down (1852362) where it states he was entitled to the Long Service and Good Conduct medal.
    There is then a C.R. Down listed as being promoted from Mechanist Quarter Master Sergeant (M.Q.M.S) (236798) to Lieutenant (I.R.E.M (Inspector of Royal Engineers Machinery) on 5th June 1942. This record also lists a full name of Charles Robert James Down.
    He became a War Substantive Captain in 1945.

I Hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down   Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down  

Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down   Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down  

Royal Engineers Captains Service Dress Jacket C R Down  

Nice collection tunics you have
    -TJ-