Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Engineers Water Transport Corps Battledress

Article about: Heres my Jan 45 dated blouse with not often seen Inland Waterways Unit badges,i have the matching trousers also 45 dated and a request form dated 1955 asking for a 36 hour leave pass stamped

Default Royal Engineers Water Transport Corps Battledress

Heres my Jan 45 dated blouse with not often seen Inland Waterways Unit badges,i have the matching trousers also 45 dated and a request form dated 1955 asking for a 36 hour leave pass stamped and signed by commanding officer,he was a sapper and formally worked as a merchant seaman during the war and i also have his merchant hat.
    Theres not a lot out there on the IWT,i know they were sent on ops during normandy landings,duties with mulbery harbours,piloting tugs,mtb,s and serving the coastal forts around the thames,and post war on the suez canal,i would be more than glad to hear from anyone with an interest in this regiment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Engineers Water Transport Corps Battledress   Royal Engineers Water Transport Corps Battledress  

Royal Engineers Water Transport Corps Battledress  

Not seen that insignia before, got to be pretty scarce? Thanks for showing.

I said not often seen so i didnt embarrass my self,actually ive never seen them other than in a book,glad you like it,i do.

Certainly a rare one and I have not seen a BD badged to this unit before. Interesting that it is a Canadian made BD, are the trousers also Canadian? Mind you Canadian made BD's were often issued to British troops, I have one from 45 issued to a RAMC OR from London District.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

yes the trousers are canadian too,i remember someone saying that they prefered the canadian stuff to the english.

Quote by wrecker View Post
    yes the trousers are canadian too,i remember someone saying that they prefered the canadian stuff to the english.
    I have also read this, though to be honest in the hand both types feel bloody hairy, while the South African made BD's are made of a finer grade of wool and might make a difference, but again they are still hairy. The Australian and New Zealand versions also feel less hairy to the touch, though I am sure would still feel itchy when on. Never owned a US made version so I can't comment on how hairy they feel, though the SA, NZ, OZ and Canadian versions are less hairy than the UK, but the Indian made version is the roughest feeling of those I own.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.