Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Small Pilot Grouping

Article about: This set came out of a local estate sale, cost a grand total of 45\\$. His tunic thankfully was left as is and still has his wings and pins. It was very dusty, no doubt put away and forgotten

It is not uncommon for folks conducting Estate Sales at one location to bring the items from that estate sale that did not sell to another location and try to sell them there. Most of the items that go unsold at an estate sale become the excess property items of the estate sale company, and very often they will mix groups together for more profit if they were unsuccessful in selling them previously.

I have seen it happen many times here in Texas. I knew a woman who owned an estate sale business, and she would buy entire houses full of items and then mark the items and have huge sales. What did not sell went with her to the next sale, etc., etc. until the items finally sold. There were several occasions where I purchased multiple mixed groups of items and afterwards, I was trying to piece the groupings back together with the proper Veteran. So with that being said there is a good possibility that the shirt could have belonged to someone else and it was thrown into the group to get rid of items quicker and to make some more money by increasing the price with multiple pieces. Either way it looks like you did very well and I would still pursue the name that was found.

Smitty

Although I absolutely agree with you I do think this estate was just one groups if that makes sense. Not to be a police investigator haha, but the uniforms at the estate both this group and the navy, were covered in a similarly large amount dust and white dog hair. Also the man running this sale was definitely not the usual estate sale group.

Of course I cannot prove anything as I don’t have the navy tops, but I will definitely continue to pursue this R.S. Grinstead and also maybe try his brother Jack see if I can find what he did in the navy.

As for what I’ve found from R.S. Grinstead, I’ve got this.

The book would be very interesting to buy as it seems to have all the KIA listed along with lost planes. So if this is my Grinstead then it would open a massive amount of in depth information. However I’m still not absolutely concrete just yet so I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Small Pilot GroupingSmall Pilot GroupingSmall Pilot Grouping

A missing Air Crew Report can also help reveal more information about the crewmembers...

NARA will also have the location of Veterans Buried Overseas and since Kohima has found a possible hit, you can start the search there.

Smitty

Found this, matches his Officer Serial number and name on the Ties. Has him listed as DNB (Died Non Battle)

Small Pilot GroupingSmall Pilot Grouping

?

And for his brother, Jack...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Pilot Grouping  

Well this estate was in Saint Louis here near where I live, matching his brothers last location. So definitely seems this is him.

Definitely bummed I left those navy uniforms but at least I have the photo.

Should I go ahead and buy the book? If we are confident this is him.

?

Not a cheap book, but then, not many are these days - especially in this field, with relatively short print runs.

However, I think we can be pretty confident on the ID by now, so it could yield much detail or, at least, give you a valuable insight into Lt. Grinstead’s cruelly shortened life, and would form part of your personal memorial to him.

Might there be a way to track down the estate seller, to pursue Jack’s uniform? It must be worth a try.

FWTW - O-771007, as found on the inside of the necktie, was the service number for Raymond S Grinstead, USAAF.

Oops, never checked page two, you guys already had it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast