Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tanker Jacket.

Article about: I’ve been looking at a few for a display. I’ve been researching but it’s almost impossible for me to tell if it’s a repro or not. How can one determine if a jacket is real or not? I see a co

Default Tanker Jacket.

I’ve been looking at a few for a display. I’ve been researching but it’s almost impossible for me to tell if it’s a repro or not. How can one determine if a jacket is real or not? I see a couple on EBay in the $600 range but I can’t tell if they are authentic. The repros I’ve observed are top notch and look itendical to original jackets.

Thanks for the future help.

Agreed there are some very good reproductions out there but there are some subtle hints. There were 2 versions of the jacket. #1 known as "Jacket, Combat, winter, Armored Force, Type 1

Constructed of 20oz OD-3 Cotton suiting, waist length coat with zippered front and wool cuffs, collar and waistband. There are 2 patch pockets sewn to the jacket above the waist open at the top. The interior is lined in dark OD (OD 34) blanket wool, with the manufacturers label sewn just under the collar inside.

There were 2 known manufacturers of this Type 1: Happ Brothers Co. Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, and S.H Knopf Mfg Co.

On the label will be a Stock number: 55-J-100 1 July 1941 thru 55-J-130 1 July 1942

Type 2: Nearly identical to the Type 1, but there are two angled slash hanging pockets at either side above the waist. This is the only major difference.

AS with the previous pattern, the only known variations are in color of material used in its manufacture. They tend to vary in color from a light green to a light tan depending on the age and how much exposure they have had to direct sunlight.

Stock numbers on Type 2: 55-J-100 thru 55-J-130 1 July 1942, 55-J-100 thru 55-J-130 1 July 1943, 55-J-100 thru 55-J-130 1 Oct 1944

The known manufacturers of the Type 2: S.H. Knopf Mfg Co., London Clothing Co., S. Liebovitz & Sons..

A jacket very similar to the Type 2 was issued during the Korean War period. It is often labled as Tanker Jacket or a similar designation. This jacket has an internal lining made of green synthetic material which is the main recognition feature..

This information was obtained from: "Uniforms of the US Army Ground Forces 1939-1945, Volume 1 Coats and Jackets Part II, Raincoats, foul weather coats and Jackets, Cold Weather Jackets and Parkas, Specialized Coats and Jackets, by Charles Lemons..

If you think you may have found one, take some pictures and post them here for others to look at before spending too much money..

Hope this information helps.. Basically just do some research and see if you can get a look at an original up close. Not sure where in Oklahoma you live but the 45th Division Museum as well as the Ft Sill museum's most likely have an original tanker jacket in their collection you may be able to view..

Hope this helps

Smitty

I have a repro I wear every SOS for the last 11 years. Have had many offers for it from those thinking it is a period jacket. The repros were that good a decade ago, not sure what they look like today.

The going rate at US shows is as you observed...about $600 for an original

Thanks for the help. It seems a majority I’ve found are either missing the tag or it’s worn out. I located a couple on eBay but I’m unable to get the upload files button to work using my phone. I’ll have to try again later.

Thanks reel steel. That’s the price on the two I located on EBay. I saw a couple sold on militaria sites for around that price as well.

Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.Tanker Jacket.

These are the images of both of the jackets I was looking at on Ebay. What do the experts think? Thanks

I had one that was made for the mini series "Band of Brothers", it was made with thicker padding for extra warmth.

I loved that jacket, but finally it fell apart.

Got a cheaper version now, does the job though

I have a counter offer on the table for $560 for jacket #2. Anyone have any issues with jacket #2?

Can’t decide if I want to buy a reproduction and age it or spend double for an authentic one.

?

Both look good to me, especially No.2 - BUT - that’s only going from a few photos...
    You really need to see it in the flesh to be sure. If the seller is ok with returns, then that is something to consider and a big help.
    The reproductions are very good (especially after a military vehicle owner has worn it for a couple of years), but like the M-41s and A-2s, the big difference is in the cut of the garment.
    Modern copies tend to be cut for the fuller figure, to appeal to the broader market, particularly around waist and armpit. I had a repro tank jacket a while ago, but had to re-tailor its waistband as I hated the ‘fit’; way too slack (I am Mr. Average 1940, so it was very noticeable).
    One of my originals can be viewed in another current thread (3rd Tank Bn.), along with several others elsewhere, I’m sure. Hope it gives a good comparison.
    Best of luck,
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast