Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Which type HBTcoveralls is he wearing?

Article about: Hello Gent's, Some here know I'm trying to put together a display to honor my uncle and Phil. In this pic Phil is bottom row in the middle wearing coveralls. He told me that is what he wore

?

Default Which type HBTcoveralls is he wearing?

Hello Gent's,
    Some here know I'm trying to put together a display to honor my uncle and Phil.
    In this pic Phil is bottom row in the middle wearing coveralls. He told me that is what he wore , so this is not the A4 flight suit.
    When looking for coveralls I saw there were 2 types. The double breast pocket "Suit, Working, One Piece, HBT 1938" and the single breast pocket "Suit, One Piece, HBT OD Special M1943"

I think Phil is wearing the 1938 version in the March of 1944 pic.

I've notice that you guy's have a very high attention to detail, So I'll ask what you think before I buy a pair of coveralls.
    Here is the original and I'll provide a colorized version that was done by a member here(Thanks John )

Let me know what you think?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Phil,
    There were actually three types (!)

This appears to be the second type (unsure of the pattern date at the moment - need to check it). The first type (1938) has a sewn-down, buttonless cover flap to the right breast pocket, stitched down at the sides.

The second type is virtually identical, but the flap is not stitched at the sides and, instead, secured by a button..

We can rule out the third type, as its flap is transposed to the left breast pocket.

The visible edge of the flap in the photograph appears to be unstitched (leading me to suspect it is of the second type), although no central button can clearly be seen (due to the shadow in the image).
    Tough call..

Cheers,
    Bob

?

Thanks Bob,
    I thought I had it down to the 38 or the 43, I didn't see that there were two types of 38.

I just bought an A4 flight suit for my uncle's display and I was working on getting the HBT coveralls for Phil's display. When the seller of the A-4's posted a M1943 version it had me looking twice at what I need to make the Phil display correct.

Thanks again.
    Semper Fi
    Phil