Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Uniform ID

Article about: Good evening, I wonder whether any of you could help me with a uniform ID please. I am trying to colourise this photo but have got stuck on what colour the below uniform should be (the one i

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    That looks fine!
    I agree. The colour of the great coat (and the "Warm") as well as the webbing seem good.

For the sake of accuracy regarding terminology however, the coat worn by HM is of the type known as a "British Warm" which originally appeared during WWI and was marketed to British officers at a time when standard military uniform was not quite up to the conditions. In latter years it became a non-standard item that was permitted on occasions where uniformity was not a major issue and when local protocols permitted. For example; it would not be appropriate for an officer taking part in a formal parade to be wearing one when the order of dress was greatcoats even if all the officers on parade wore the same. They would be wearing greatcoats as the officer in your picture is.

In short it is best described as "semi-official" and even HM would not wear one at a ceremonial occasion such as Trooping the Colour or at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day. He would wear the greatcoat appropriate to the uniform he was wearing (Army, regimental pattern, Navy, Airforce etc). For most officers the "Warm" would be limited to daily wear and usually within the parameters of regimental duty rather than the more formal or ceremonial occasions.

The type is still available from both high street stores and bespoke tailors as a Google search of "British Warm" will illustrate. It is a garment that would only be worn in uniform on formal occasions by VIP status individuals (EG HM and Winston Churchill etc). The mystery officer's coat is an official pattern officers greatcoat hence the different cut and colour.

It may seem a small point but when referring to a particular garment the two terms are not interchangeable as both coats are visually quite different even when only the shade is discernible.

I know this is nothing to do with the picture in question but it seems to be relevant to the general subject of uniform / dress so I hope it is of interest / helpful.

Regards

Mark

PS The "Trench Coat" has a similar origin and now lives on as a completely civilian garment sold in most high steet stores and gentlemen's outfitters as well as big brands like Burberry and major fashion houses often include it in their ranges.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-19-2021 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

That's very interesting, especially as it is still marketed as a 'British Warm' with its origins described.

Churchill wearing his 'warm' at the Yalta Conference.

Uniform ID

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3