Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown British overalls/hood from this 1942 Gruinard Island video - what are they?

Article about: Hi all, For years now I've been trying to identify these overalls and hood, to no avail. They were used by scientists from the Microbiological Research Institute at Porton Down when they con

Question Unknown British overalls/hood from this 1942 Gruinard Island video - what are they?

Hi all,

For years now I've been trying to identify these overalls and hood, to no avail. They were used by scientists from the Microbiological Research Institute at Porton Down when they conducted anthrax trials on the island of Gruinard in Scotland. I'm looking to put together a sort of reenactment kit for these guys, and they used standard British Army uniforms and gas masks, but the hoods, overalls and glove/boot ensembles they used elude me.

Finding the gloves will probably be a nigh-on impossibility, but I digress. I'm looking for the overalls, as they are the important parts. I could find some modern boots and gloves anyways.

Here are the overalls. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

NB: The voiceover refers to "cotton overalls", if that helps.

Unknown British overalls/hood from this 1942 Gruinard Island video - what are they?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown British overalls/hood from this 1942 Gruinard Island video - what are they?