Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings

Article about: Another recent addition to my small USAAF collection, was this nice aircrew EM's SSGT 8th AAF 4 pocket service tunic, and I think rather nice with a bullion aircrew set of wings. It would ha

Default US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings

Another recent addition to my small USAAF collection, was this nice aircrew EM's SSGT 8th AAF 4 pocket service tunic,
    and I think rather nice with a bullion aircrew set of wings. It would have had a reasonable ribbon bar at some stage too,
    but this was gone, and as I don't have anything to put there at present, I added the single ribbon for a bit of colour.
    The rest of the tunic is exactly how it was picked up by a Belgian civilian who scored it in 1946 or 47!!

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings   US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings  

US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings   US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings  

US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings   US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings  

a couple more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings   US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings  

?

I Love it Bob, But that might because my Uncle Joe(My Avatar) was attached to the 8thAF, 384th BG, 545th BS in Grafton Underwood.

Semper Fi
    Phil

That's an interesting jacket. Are there any tags inside such as a tailor's label or a QM tag? It looks like an officer's jacket converted to an EM?

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    That's an interesting jacket. Are there any tags inside such as a tailor's label or a QM tag? It looks like an officer's jacket converted to an EM?
    Good Morning from Melbourne !

Yeah the tunic has an officer quality about it, superbly made jacket, and the only marking I can find inside is a stencilled ' R0990 ' on the lining just below the back of the collar,
    would this be a QM tag or perhaps a Tailor's label by chance ??

Thanks again for your assistance mate, greatly appreciated at this end.

Cheers

Bob

A shot of the collar with the ' R0990 ' stencil on it.....

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 8th AAF SSGT's service tunic with bullion aircrew wings  

Good morning from the US!

Those pictures make it even more interesting! The lining looks to be for a standard EM 4 pocket but everything else, pocket cut, buttons, fabric make it look like an officer's jacket.

The R0990 would be the owner's laundry number - first digit of last name and last four digits of service number.

Generally an EM 4 pocket would have a QM tag in one of the bottom exterior pockets. Usually the left pocket when looking at the jacket. An officer's coat would have a label on and/or in the right breast pocket.
    Last edited by aurelius180; 08-22-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Searching by the laundry number brings up 55 hits: Search Results - Page 1 | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

You may be able to cross reference some that may make sense: Archive | American Air Museum in Britain

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    Good morning from the US!

Those pictures make it even more interesting! The lining looks to be for a standard EM 4 pocket but everything else, pocket cut, buttons, fabric make it look like an officer's jacket.

The R0990 would be the owner's laundry number - last digit of last name and last four digits of service number.

Generally an EM 4 pocket would have a QM tag in one of the bottom exterior pockets. Usually the left pocket when looking at the jacket. An officer's coat would have a label on and/or in the right breast pocket.
    Thanks again, your help is really assisting me with filling in the gaps. I did check the pockets, sadly no other numbers in there.

I will look through your sites posted (again with thanks) and see if there are any close matches,

Best wishes

Bob

I edited the above because a laundry number is the first digit of the last name. I had last digit of last name.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast