Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M43 Field Jacket

Article about: I've been thinking about adding one of these M43 Field Jackets to my growing US collection. I know there's a lot of variants of the M43 but struggle to remember all the minor changes haha; I

Default US M43 Field Jacket

I've been thinking about adding one of these M43 Field Jackets to my growing US collection. I know there's a lot of variants of the M43 but struggle to remember all the minor changes haha; I also know these are reproduced as well. This one appears original to me but I'd just like to get a general concensious on it before I make a decision, thanks

Also, I've seen some of these M43's with unit patches on the sleeves; but the overwhelming majority of these I've come across have no patches and no evidence of ever having any patches. I've seen some period photographs of these jackets being worn with and without patches. Does anyone know why some soldiers or units wouldn't have a unit patch sewn onto the jacket?

US M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field Jacket

Looks genuine and not late war specification (second half of 1944 and later had a darker shade of the lining - this example was made probably in 1943 or in first half of 1944).

As regards details - try to find yourself. Good luck!

M-1943 field jacket specification estimate ? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Specification PQD 1 370, May 29, 1943
    Sizes
    - 13, in short, regular and long lengths.
    Markings
    - Manufacturer’s tag in right breast pocket
    - Size tag sewn in collar area
    Distinguishing Features*
    - 1/2 loop sewn in the collar for hanging up the jacket
    - Bottom of sleeves closed like the wool shirt.
    - Collar closing tab under the collar allows collar to be buttoned in one of 2 upward positions.
    - 2 collar buttons

Specification PQD 370-A, June 30, 1943
    Sizes
    - 13, in regular and long lengths
    Markings
    - Manufacturer’s tag in right breast pocket
    - Size tag sewn in collar area
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Collar closing tab placed lower.
    - 2 collar buttons
    - Bottom of sleeves hemmed with one row of stitching.
    - Hip pockets have 2 support straps, one running to the collar.*

Specification PQD 370-B (July 9, 1943)
    Sizes
    Markings
    - Manufacturer’s tag in right waist pocket.
    - Size printed in collar area.
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Collar closing tab replaced by a trapezoid-shaped tab behind
    left collar. Tab held by 2 buttons when not in use.
    - Bottom of sleeves simplified.
    - 1 collar button.

Specification PQD 397, September 15, 1943
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Similar to PQD 370 but lined with flannel to use up existing stocks of M-1941 jacket material. Limited production through early 1944.

Specification PQD 370-C (November 11, 1943)
    Sizes
    - 18, in short, regular and long lengths.
    Markings
    - Manufacturer’s tag in right waist pocket
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Thicker buttons.
    - Collar closing tab has 1 button.
    - Full loop hang-up cord (formerly a ½ loop).

Specification PQD 370-D (February 23, 1944)
    Sizes
    Markings
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Fabric instruction tag below the inside collar.

Specification 370-E (February 13, 1945)
    Sizes
    Markings
    - Size tag sewn in the collar area. Size shown in red, blue or
    black.
    Distinguishing Features*
    - Larger breast pockets.
    - Instruction tag includes an illustration. Some manufacturers print the instructions directly on the lining.

Definitely WWII vintage. The spec. tag will actually be in The lower right pocket (if it is even there anymore)

Thank y'all for the replies! I got the jacket in the mail today, the buttons have mostly been replaced and are now tied onto the jacket, but I got it for a fair price so am more than happy to finally have one of these It appears to have definitely been issued as it has what I'm assuming is a name and serial number written on the tag, but I see no trace of any unit patches ever being sewn onto the jacket. Any idea on why an issued jacket wouldn't have any patches sewn onto it? I see most M43's with some form of unit patch in the period photographs I've seen

US M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field JacketUS M43 Field Jacket

From my experience, M43's RARELY had patches. By the time these came out en masse (1944) the guys in the field wised up to the great big colorful unit patches. Don't let TV/movies/mini series/reenactors fool you. I have one, repeat one, m43 that i think has a genuine war-time applied unit patch. Its a 4th Infantry patch, so green on green, that wouldn't be too visible

I'm not to sure on US Army regulations with regards to wearing SSI on M43. I have always assumed that they would of been allowed as the M43 being an official uniform required unit Identification same as the Ike or most garments worn as an outer. Will do some research on Army regulations of the time.

However there are many documented pictures of M43 with SSI. The most famous being Mark Clark Fifth Army, 101 G Maxwell Taylor, BG Gerald Higgins to name but a few. I've seen 1, 9, 82 104 106 and numerous others on M43 44-45 period and I do not pay attention to movies. The patches stand out like the bollocks of a dog!!

In some ways you are correct but the % not to sure.

I do know one thing GI's loved to adorn their garments with SSI.

Phill