Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Tankers Jacket

Article about: First off I need to apologize for these absolutely terrible pictures, if it’s impossible to do a good assessment with these I understand. This is for sale at an antique mall I will pass on

Default US Tankers Jacket

First off I need to apologize for these absolutely terrible pictures, if it’s impossible to do a good assessment with these I understand.

This is for sale at an antique mall I will pass one more time and I thought this was a cool piece. Apparently they are heavily reproduced so I want to ask if this example is original (I personally doubt it) my experience is 0 here so anything will help.

Thank you so much for any help,
    Bodhi

US Tankers JacketUS Tankers JacketUS Tankers Jacket

Bodhi,

This jacket is a reproduction.. The Makers Tag MTL is the company "Man The Line" Here is a link to a similar jacket.

WINTER WOOL TANKER JACKET-1ST PATTERN | Man The Line

An Original WW2 era manufacturers tag would have the nomenclature in all capital letters. Notice how the maker tag states: Jacket, combat, Winter... The first word and last are capitalized but Combat in the middle starts with a lower-case letter. The nomenclature designation would always start with a Captial Letter.

Just little inconsistencies like that allows the maker to use war time specs and data without any copyright infringements from the US government on their tags. Most of the data is correct but there are subtle errors that only one would catch if they had the books that showed the maker tags.

You will also notice this on reproduction WW2 rations and things where they misspell a word in the recipe or ingredients.

There is an 8-9 volume set of the US Army uniforms of WW2 and their manufacturers that show the proper makers tags as well as the data. I have these volumes and they have been a valuable asset when looking at makers tags.

Someone's going to get taken for $285.00 dollars if they believe this is a WW2 era jacket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but glad you checked here first.

Best regards

Smitty

Thank you very much Smitty, not bad news at all I just thought it would be worth checking!

I’m glad my terrible pictures were enough to get by on, thank you again.

Bodhi

Bodhi,

No worries about the pictures, although in one of the pictures I was curious about a picture that was on the back wall of the USS Massachusetts Battleship for $80.00. Curious if you recall if that was a WW2 era image or later.

I grew up near Fall River, Massachusetts and have visited the Battleship many times. I have a few items from the Battleship from WW2 (Unit History and some other regalia) so I was just curious.

Best regards

Smitty

I wish I could remember but I didn’t look much at it.

How would I be able to tell if it was a WW2 era Image? I can look again when I pass it on the way back and if it is WW2 era I could pick it up for you.

Bodhi,

No worries. I think it said on the price tag that it was a print/painting. I was looking more for black and white official Navy photos of the ships. Usually you will find the photographer stamp or other information written at the bottom of the image or on the backside if the picture is framed.

Here is an example of a US Navy photo of the Battleship USS Pennsylvania from 1932. It was the Flag Ship of the Commander in Chief, US Fleet, at Pearl Harbor, (TH) Territory Hawaii.

I have this image as well as some other documents from a Sailor on the Pennsylvania pre-December 7, 1941, as well as a named Purple Heart for a Sailor who was on the Pennsylvania when it was in Drydock during the attack on December 7, 1941.

I was thinking if the USS Massachusetts image was a WW2 era image as well it may be interesting to add to my USS Massachusetts unit History for WW2.

I also have a similar type of image of the crew of the Submarine USS Argonaut taken in May 1938 at Pearl Harbor. This particular submarine was lost with all hands, on January 10, 1943, after being sunk by a Japanese Destroyer off Rabaul. Prior to being lost, the Argonaut had an interesting history, part of which was transporting Marine Raiders to Makin Island for the Makin Raid.

This ship was built at the Portsmouth Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine, not too far from where I grew up, so I also have an interest in Naval Vessels that were built in the New England Area.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Tankers Jacket