Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

USAAF Corporals Dress Tunic

Article about: I picked this up along with an Ike Jacket at an antique mall this was one of the more pricey one for sale at about 50 usd all the others where at about 30 dollars so I’ll probably be back

Default USAAF Corporals Dress Tunic

I picked this up along with an Ike Jacket at an antique mall this was one of the more pricey one for sale at about 50 usd all the others where at about 30 dollars so I’ll probably be back at a later date and pick up all the rest. This one was made in March, 11, 1942 by Jersey Coat Co. Ink. This on is a little dirty but not too bad overall besides a couple moth holes in the USAAF patch. There’s a lot of writing on the inside which is partly why I’m posting it, I’d really appreciate any help researching this, I’m no expert on US items so I’m not sure where to go and what means what. Overall I’m happy with my weekend pickups and I’ll probably be back soon with more uniforms and hopefully I’ll be able to do all the research on my own.

Cheers and thank you for any tips,
    Bodhi

USAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress TunicUSAAF Corporals Dress Tunic

?

Nice pick up,
    It sure has been around the block with all those different laundry numbers.
    It would be hard to pick one and say its the one. Unless you find a guy who was a Corporal when he was discharged.

Semper Fi
    Phil

So I would would have to research all the numbers and names until I find a match to the rank?
    Another question is about the two pins on the collar, one is a screw type and the other isn’t so I’m thinking they are messed with especially because on the Ike jacket I picked up they are the other way around with the US button on the right side.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Bodhi.

Some good research potential here.. There are several possibilities with the numbers and all, it may take a while but you may get lucky.. The first one I would start with would be the obvious,, the Von Holt last name...

I just did a very quick ancestry search and there are quite a few Von Holts...

There are some possible leads for what appears to be D-8492 (38 records there)

P 9561 has 33 possible records
    V 2008 has 14 possible records

Fabatz: had one record

I'll let you do the research Bodhi but if you run into any roadblocks I'll give you a few hints to help you on your way..

Start here,, see if this helps...

Home | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

Smitty

The only Von Holt I was able to find was with the laundry number V 2068 as I believe that’s what it reads (it’s a little sloppy) but it says they where in the Women’s Army Corps. Besides that I wasn’t really able to find any more names matching the numbers or service.

I would try the Von Holt lead...

Henry Von Holt Jr. 1949 | In Memoriam | Reed Magazine

Now keep in mind Bodhi... This may or may not be him... There is an AAC connection but if he washed out of flight school he may have been assigned to a WAC unit.. not impossible...

I think this may be his uniform, In his Obituary it indicates he went through flight training but the war ended and subsequently he was discharged, never finishing training... BUT,, I would want to do more thorough research before I put a definite yes on it...

Smitty

Will do, I’m at work right now so I’ll see what I can do when I get home. Thank you very much!

I think these are two different men, the man I found with the laundry number seems to be a different man, it say he is American Indian, had limited education and seem to have different addresses before the war. The Henry Von Holt on the Reed Magazine site seems to be a match, I found the Uniform in Columbia, Missouri which matches the article and the picture definitely shows a white man not an American Indian and he has a tie to the Army Air Corps.

Im pretty sure this link you gave is the guy. Henry Von Holt Jr. 1949 | In Memoriam | Reed Magazine

Edit, Found this link too lots more information here too.Henry Von Holt Obituary - Columbia, MO