Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF ike jacket

Article about: Hello everyone, I've had this ike jacket since early September but am just now getting around to posting it. This one belonged to the 15th Air Force which was engaged in strategic bombing ca

?

Default USAAF ike jacket

Hello everyone, I've had this ike jacket since early September but am just now getting around to posting it.

This one belonged to the 15th Air Force which was engaged in strategic bombing campaigns in Italy/across the Mediterranean. The soldier was awarded 3 Air medals and has 4 campaign stars attached to his EAME ribbon.
    Its likely that he was rotated into the 3rd Air Force as he was being sent home.
    I also find it interesting that the GI pinned his medals onto his pocket flap rather then above it like most medals are.

As always thanks for looking and let me know what you think!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF ike jacket   USAAF ike jacket  

USAAF ike jacket   USAAF ike jacket  

USAAF ike jacket   USAAF ike jacket  

Love it nice score! Nice tag too!

Nice pick up!

Might have had some wings on it - hence the bar being on the pocket flap?

Ohh I still love that table too!!!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 12-12-2020 at 02:32 AM. Reason: added text

?

Thanks rene, I didn't consider the wings before your comment, its definitely a possibility. And thanks about the table! My father made it in our barn a few years back.

?

Wally nice jacket my guess on the ribbon bar would be it was put on by somebody who didn't know where to put it. A vet would have placed it where it belongs . Still very nice . Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Wally nice jacket my guess on the ribbon bar would be it was put on by somebody who didn't know where to put it. A vet would have placed it where it belongs . Still very nice . Gary
    Gary Mate anything can happen. Ruptured Duck.

I agree with Rene. I’ve seen many many US dress uniforms out there that have weird placement on insignia. There plenty of evidence of this even in period photos too.

One ike jacket in my collection has a unit patch on each shoulder and another on the on the right cuff. It came directly from the vet’s family so I’m confident it’s good.

I ought to post that one...

Great uniform, no issues with this one..

Common for Soldiers to pin decorations on the pocket flap.. It gave more credence to insignia such as wings which went above the pocket and thus attention was focused on the wings rather than the ribbons..

I have a few Airborne uniforms where the Combat Infantry Badge was pinned to the pocket flap and above the pocket flap was the ribbons and the airborne wings... In some of the cuts of the Ike jackets and other uniforms the higher up on the breast above the pocket the great chance of the higher decorations and ribbons being obscured by the low cut collars on the uniforms.

Smitty

?

Nice Ike Wally!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast