Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

USMC M44 IKE jacket+trousers

Article about: Hello Guys, Last week i came across this USMC M44 ike jacket with trousers. I bought it for a fair price knowing that is was from around the WW2/Korea period. I've found out that the three r

Default USMC M44 IKE jacket+trousers

Hello Guys,

Last week i came across this USMC M44 ike jacket with trousers. I bought it for a fair price knowing that is was from around the WW2/Korea period.
    I've found out that the three ribbons are for the:
    USMC Good conduct medal (the star indicates that it was awarded after 1953 or the uniform was worn after 1953).
    Asiatic-Pacific Campaing medal (one star for a certain campaign).
    China Service medal (this medal was awarded between 1937-1939 and 1945-1957).

I was wondering if anyone can make a guess about the age of this jacket? there aren't any other markings or labels in the jacket or trousers.
    Is it possible the owner re-enlisted after ww2 as an instructor or such? And why are certain medals like the ww2 victory medal missing on this jacket?
    Thanks in advance!

Nice one, did you check the inner pocket to find a stamp? here's mine for comparison

You may want to check in the armpit for the manufacturing information. They were commonly stamped there. My quick guess is that this is a late WW2 or early post war jacket 45-48ish..

Smitty

?

Nice Devil Dog Ike.
    He was attached to the 6th Marine Regiment.
    With him wearing the fourragère of the croix de guerre.
    Now you can only wear that while attached to the 6th.
    You can't wear it on your uniform after you transfer.

I m on my Phone, I'll get back when I can see that bigger.
    Just an FYI,
    The star on his Good conduct means he was awarded a second good cookie. You get them for 3years with no Office Hours.
    Same with the Asian-Pacific. the Star represent his second Campaign while serving in the PTO.
    2 hash marks on the sleeve means he has at least 8 years of service
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-17-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added comment

Thanks for the reations guys!
    I wasn't able to find any markings inside the inner pocket or in the armpit.
    I did came across something that looks like a name in the armpit. I will check in daylight and provide some pictures!

The Eagle Globe and Anchors on the collar have ropes around the anchor which means they are of the later style from the post Korea era. The chevrons are of the WWII style without crossed rifles as seen in Rene’s post. The Marine Corps changed their rank structure post Korea and added crossed rifles under E-3 to E-7 chevrons and E-8 MSgt chevrons at this time Same time the added the rope wrapped around the anchor on the EGA for enlisted collar insignia.

Long story short unfortunately I think the collar insignia and chevrons are from different times so they were put together later. I would suspect that the ribbons and fourragere were added later as well and might explain the absence of the victory in WWII ribbon and/or the National Defense ribbon for service from 1950-1953.
    Last edited by 08SMLE48; 06-18-2021 at 02:31 AM.