Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

USN jacket and cap - Seabees

Article about: hello all.....just got back from the flea market and picked up this uniform which I think is period....US stuff is not my normal area but I couldn't pass in the price my observations - seems

Default USN jacket and cap - Seabees

hello all.....just got back from the flea market and picked up this uniform which I think is period....US stuff is not my normal area but I couldn't pass on the price

my observations - seems period and well made, no labels on the jacket and some interesting embroidered dragons on the interior of the cuffs....has a zipper on the left side.....the sweat diamond on the cap is illegible...

I have a couple of questions....is it period ?....and what is the significance of the dragons ?.....aftermarket add-ons ?

any insight would be appreciated

front

back

patch

cuffs

dragon

cap interior

also grabbed this cool Jim Beam decanter in the mix
    Last edited by KatManDude; 04-04-2022 at 02:02 AM.

just found this interesting note regarding the zipper on the side and the dragons....

Unlike other branches of service, sailors could often get away with wearing custom-made, non-regulation uniforms. Since many Navy-issued dress blue jumpers were ill-fitting and made of cheap, unlined wool flannel, sailors found tailors to make them individually fitted with added features, such as side zippers, hidden pockets and silk lining, all of which add to their collector value.

One popular practice among sailors was to have “liberty embroidery” added to their uniforms. Usually, this refers to Oriental-style embroidered designs added to the inside of the jumper’s cuffs, which could be unbuttoned and turned out to reveal the embroidery when off ship on liberty. Some sailors went farther and had dragons and other designs added to the lining of their custom-made jumpers and trousers, which would not be visible unless the uniform was inside out.
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Lovely set and certainly WW2 period.

?

Definitely a WWII era Navy Jumper, with some awesome liberty cuffs! The ruptured duck, or discharge patch, above the wearers right pocket would indicate WWII era, or immediately after. The Seabee's patch looks to be WWII era construction as well. Nice set!