Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What is this uniform?

Article about: I'm in the market for a new American uniform, and I wanted an Ike Jacket, but this uniform caught my eye. I'm not sure it's WWII era though because of the green lining. It looks Korean War e

Default What is this uniform?

What is this uniform?What is this uniform?What is this uniform?What is this uniform?

I'm in the market for a new American uniform, and I wanted an Ike Jacket, but this uniform caught my eye. I'm not sure it's WWII era though because of the green lining. It looks Korean War era to me. The Ribbon bars seem to make sense, and I'm not getting any bad feelings from them.

I'm new to American uniforms in general, but I know about enlisted mens Ike Jackets pretty well. I know nothing about officer uniforms, and that is what this is I believe.

I'm not sure what to ask the seller, because I don't know myself.

How old is this one, and what is that patch on the shoulder?

Thanks guys!

?

Japanese occupation era, I believe.. immediate post-war and, yes, it’s for an officer.
    Looks nice and honest.

?

The patch is for the Far East Command. It was activated in 1947 for the Occupation of Japan, and it has the ribbon for the Army of Occupation Medal.

This ribbon rack indicated prior enlisted service (The first ribbon (Red/White) is the Army Good Conduct Ribbon) Only enlisted Soldiers were awarded this decoration so it is plausible that this person received a Battlefield Commission or obtained their commission after the war. Soldier also had Army Reserve/National Guard Time (The last ribbon).

Nice uniform but worth about $30-35 dollars since it has no other insignia..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    This ribbon rack indicated prior enlisted service (The first ribbon (Red/White) is the Army Good Conduct Ribbon) Only enlisted Soldiers were awarded this decoration so it is plausible that this person received a Battlefield Commission or obtained their commission after the war. Soldier also had Army Reserve/National Guard Time (The last ribbon).

Nice uniform but worth about $30-35 dollars since it has no other insignia..

Smitty
    I'll have to think on this one, see if I can research the guy. I like Ike Jackets better. Don't know why. I just do. It's hard finding good ones to buy now for some reason.

Rusty,

This could be a diamond in the rough. But I understand your passion for Ikes..

Best regards,

Smitty

Rusty,

This could be a diamond in the rough. But I understand your passion for Ikes..

Best regards,

Smitty

I like emeralds, but Diamonds are cool.

After initial research, I believe this jacket belonged to a Robert E Illingsworth. Yes, I know the tag read Illingsworth R.K., but there were only a small handful of men named Illingsworth that served in WWII. This Illingsworth saw service in the national guard, and was in the army from 1942, to 1946. He kept reenlisting after that period of time. He rose through to the rank of Master Sergeant, and in 1946 he was made 1st Lieutenant. He served all through the Korean war in the 11th medical regiment. Pre war, as early as 1938, he is listed as a MD. Sgt. in a passenger departure list leaving New York.

Rusty,

Good start on the research.. Strong possibility that this is your Soldier.. Perhaps the tailor wrote the name in the jacket and instead of an E they put a K..

Hard to say, but the information that you found in reference to the National Guard and prior service points in this direction..

If I had some more time I would dive deeper in for you but I only have a few minutes right now so I won't be able to do any in-depth research for awhile.

Well done..

You may be able to pick up the appropriate Officer devices and other accouterments and restore this uniform if you choose to do so..

best regards,

Smitty

Rusty,

Good start on the research.. Strong possibility that this is your Soldier.. Perhaps the tailor wrote the name in the jacket and instead of an E they put a K..

Hard to say, but the information that you found in reference to the National Guard and prior service points in this direction..

If I had some more time I would dive deeper in for you but I only have a few minutes right now so I won't be able to do any in-depth research for awhile.

Well done..

You may be able to pick up the appropriate Officer devices and other accouterments and restore this uniform if you choose to do so..

best regards,

Smitty
    I just bought it. I did a bit more looking, and pre-war he was in the Hawaiian Division. I'm not sure how he ended up in the ETO, but I'll look into that next.