Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

(WW1 era?) sun helmet badge ID

Article about: Hello all, I was hoping someone could help me identify the badge on this soldier’s helmet. As a novice, I am uncertain if this is a British, or possibly Australian soldier. The close-up ph

Default (WW1 era?) uniform and sun helmet badge ID

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me identify the nationality of this soldier and badge on his helmet.

As a novice, I am uncertain if this is a British, or possibly Australian soldier.
    The close-up photo is a bit blurred, sorry. I tried to make it as clear as possible.

The reason I mention Australian is because the badge appears to resemble the Australian Commonwealth Military Force badge.

Many thanks, would be very grateful for your expertise.

JB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture (WW1 era?) sun helmet badge ID   (WW1 era?) sun helmet badge ID  

(WW1 era?) sun helmet badge ID   (WW1 era?) sun helmet badge ID  

Hi JB,

Sorry for the long delay, I only just came upon your query.

You're spot on, you've identified the Rising Sun badge correctly. The soldier is a Corporal from one of the Australian Light Horse Regiments, his colour patch is cut diagonally with the Brigade colour to the rear and the Regiment colour to the front. The badge on his epaulette is the curved 'AUSTRALIA' title. He's wearing an Australian pattern Service Dress jacket plus the bandolier and gaiters typical of mounted Units.

The Wolseley helmet was quite popular with the LH, particularly earlier in the war, so possibly circa 1915.

Overall a very nice photo.

Dan

Small correction....the Light Horse didn't start using colour patches till 1916 (March I think), so the pic can't be before then, so circa 1916.

Dan