Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?

Article about: G'day folks, I am not an expert on British Battledress, but have a question regarding a Home Guard uniform that I have owned for some time. How it wound up in Australia, I have no idea. Ther

Default WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?

G'day folks,
    I am not an expert on British Battledress, but have a question regarding a Home Guard uniform that I have owned for some time. How it wound up in Australia, I have no idea.

There are no War Department stamps, nor internal labels. The uniform has a degree of thinning/mothing so has age and 'feels' / smells right to me. The only tag is a small hand sewn label near the collar which is cross-stitched on with the numerals 44400 on it. Has anyone seen a jacket like this? The buttons look like bakelite and it feels like an economy-style jacket that I would expect the Home Guard to have access to. The orange paper tag (with safety pin) near the collar is a dry-cleaning tag as I had it cleaned recently to get rid of any moth larvae.

The pistol lanyard was added by me, so was not with the jacket. It's of the period and I had no other appropriate uniforms to attach it too...yes, I appreciate a HG member was more likely to have a pitch fork ;-)

Everyone I've shown it to liked it from the outside but as soon as they saw their was no label inside has written it off. Happy to hear your thoughts if you've got some experience in this area.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?WW2 Essex Home Guard Uniform - thoughts?

Hi Jim, finding a BD which is devoid of a label or inspection stamps is not unknown, especially in 1937 pattern.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks Ade :-)

I actually think this is the 1940 pattern (but am no expert) due to the presence of the lined collar. Have you ever seen a tag like the one that is attached to the collar '44400'? Understanding the Q System, it's not inconceivable that the collar lining may have been added by a tailor as unlined wool against the next would be as itchy as buggery.

I've been offering it for sale for what I think is quite a reasonable price and aligns with similar HG Jackets in the UK, but all prospective buyers have rejected it due to the lack of a formal label, which is quite frustrating.

Cheers!
    Jim

I think that other tag may be another cleaning label.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I've located another 1937-pattern Home Guard tunic in the Imperial War Museum with a lined collar. Blouse, Battledress, 1937 pattern: Sergeant, 22nd Battalion (City of London) Home Guard | Imperial War Museums

Cheers,
    Jim

I'll swap ya for an Aust four pocket early tunic for it?

?

Unlined collar = Battle Dress, Serge (adopted in 1937, but not designated as such).
    Lined collar, breast pockets slightly higher, slightly narrower cut = 1940 pattern (per OP).
    Exposed buttons, no pleats to pockets = Battle Dress, Austerity (commonly, though erroneously, known as 1940 pattern)!
    Last edited by Kohima; 09-11-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks Kohima :-)

Yes, I refer to it as 'Battledress Serge' in my sales listings, as you suggest. Good point though as it is often referred to as the 1937 pattern as you suggest.

Cheers!
    Jim

G'day Rene,

Thanks for offer matey! Does it have a unit patch, or attribution by chance? What date is it?

I currently have the HG battledress jacket up on eBay (as of 11th September 2021 - as this post will age), with a bunch of Australian uniforms - WW2 British 1937-patt Essex Home Guard Sergeant Battledress jacket & lanyard | eBay

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote by JimboCymru View Post
    G'day Rene,

Thanks for offer matey! Does it have a unit patch, or attribution by chance? What date is it?

I currently have the HG battledress jacket up on eBay (as of 11th September 2021 - as this post will age), with a bunch of Australian uniforms - WW2 British 1937-patt Essex Home Guard Sergeant Battledress jacket & lanyard | eBay

Cheers,
    Jim
    Ahh Jim it would be probably a 41 unissued no insignia but all good as I see your EB price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast