Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 uniform?

Article about: I suspect this uniform to be WW2, but would like to confirm before I sell it. Anything you can tell me about it would be most appreciated. The herringbone twill tunic has 2 front pleated poc

?

Default WW2 uniform?

I suspect this uniform to be WW2, but would like to confirm before I sell it. Anything you can tell me about it would be most appreciated. The herringbone twill tunic has 2 front pleated pockets, a gas flap, and buttons in the collar. The buttons are 13 star metal. I did not find any tags or markings.

The trousers are herringbone twill with non-pleated cargo pockets, button fly, gas flap and waist tabs, also with no tags or markings.

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 uniform?   WW2 uniform?  

WW2 uniform?  

Pablo,

The trousers are known as the 3rd Pattern HBT trousers. These are WW2 era. These trousers followed the simplified M1943 design with slight modifications to the side cargo pockets. The earlier cargo pockets were difficult to use due to insufficient expansion. The modified version as pictured here was designed with a bottom and central bellows allowing bulky items like rations and grenades to be carried. These as well as the earlier M1943 trousers were used throughout WW2 and in some cases were used in the early days of the Korean War.

The coat or jacket is known as the Jacket, HBT OD7, Special (Thirds pattern). This special version with the modified pockets made its first appearance around mid 1943. The double pleat action of vertical and horizontal pleats became known as the third pattern of pockets used on the jacket of two piece suits. Other features of this particular jacket include the gas flap inside the front opening, and beneath the rear collar were two metal buttons for attaching the gas protection hood used in conjunction with the gas mask. Most of these jackets have the suffix "SPECIAL" on the makers label indicating hat this jacket has a gas flap added and it can be closed at the throat and cuffs to cover exposed skin.

I am assuming your shirt has the two metal star buttons on the rear collar and that there are tabs on the shirt cuffs as well...If so then the coat you have is what I listed above...

Smitty

Nice review there Smitty. The trousers are a little harder to find these days than the jacket.

?

Thanks Smitty. That was very informative. I very much appreciate your response.