Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII American flight gear authenticity???

Article about: I saw these on Creigslist and wasn’t thinking to ask first if they are the real deal. Oops. What else would I need to have the full uniform? I’m thinking these went to a bombers gunner j

Default WWII American flight gear authenticity???

I saw these on Creigslist and wasn’t thinking to ask first if they are the real deal. Oops.

What else would I need to have the full uniform? I’m thinking these went to a bombers gunner just looking at pictures of crews and what they did on board.

I wasn’t able to find much about the type a 5 pants. There a bit rough but I took a bit of the thread from the “repairs” to do the burn test. It’s wool. It looks like something snagged the left pant leg with enough force to rip the suspender out. Yikes. There’s a strange mark by the middle zipper and help in that would be great.

the life jacket is a bit rough also. I was trying to find out a bit more about it and found out they used c02 to inflate them so I looked in the jacket and there they were. Some c02 cartridges. Are they original to the jacket?

The flight helmet is also a bit rough. What goggles would be the most accurate for this helmet?

Thanks for the help

WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???WWII American flight gear authenticity???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII American flight gear authenticity???   WWII American flight gear authenticity???  

WWII American flight gear authenticity???   WWII American flight gear authenticity???  

WWII American flight gear authenticity???   WWII American flight gear authenticity???  

Sorry about the jumbled pictures. I had them in order but it didn’t upload quite right

?

It certainly all looks authentic !

That’s great to hear. It was really cheap so I thought it could possibly be repro junk. Thanks

?

Not my area of collecting but I own a similar flight helmet and I've handled flight suits of that nature and it all looks legitimate. if you got it cheap, then even better. I'm sure our aviator collectors can give you more information. In my opinion you scored really well.

?

The Life preserver looks to be a type B-4. The CO2 cartridges should have a stamp on them. Are they marked?

A nice AN-H-15, You will need to find the receivers for it.

The goggles you ask about could be B-8's. Those would be the easiest and less expensive alterative. You could go for AN-6530 .But they will cost you and once again it would depend on what time frame you are going for. With the AN-H-15 helmet I would go with the B-8's to be correct. It's what I use on my set up and that info came from my Friend and B-17 waistgunner. I use this as my display to Honor him.
    This is an older photo of it and has been updated to reflect another photo I have of Phil.

WWII American flight gear authenticity???

The A-5 flight trousers would be for around 42-43 time frame. You would need a B-3 flight jacket to match.
    USAAF went with the A-8,9,10,11 material type trousers later in the war.

Shearling becomes very fragile with age. Also the tears could have come from usage in a Bomber or could have been damaged in the years after, These used to be sold as Heavy winter wear surplus after the war and MANY where purchased because they were warm and cheap. But time has not been kind to this type of material.

I hope that helps.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 02-07-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added photo

Great to hear. I think I will go down the more accurate route. Where should the marking be on the c02 cartridges? Thanks for the help

?

It should be on the side of the cartridge's.
    It is stamped into the steel.
    When I got my B-4 it came with some that were not a match. I found out after posting them that they were from a seltzer water dispenser

I'll also add that these are usually dirty on the outerside. They were worn on the outside of the flight gear.So they get the most contact with Grease& Grime. Look at photo's from the time , You will see what I mean.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I’m not seeing much on the cartridges. They have got a bit of rust on them

?

Just a note. I had to fix my statement above.
    You have a B-4 life preserver.
    I'll see if I can find a photo of the markings on the CO2's.
    I know the ones used by the US Navy have USN stamped into the sides of them.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast