Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII USMC leggings

Article about: Here is a pair of USMC WWII or possibly Korean War leggings. I believe they are most likely WWII. However these have a bit of history attached to them. They were originally issued to a "

Default WWII USMC leggings

Here is a pair of USMC WWII or possibly Korean War leggings. I believe they are most likely WWII. However these have a bit of history attached to them. They were originally issued to a "J.B. Davis" as seen with the stamped name. But there is Also a hand written J.E. Albert also written on each. Possibly a reissue during Korea or maybe taken off a fallen marine. I haven't done any research on either of these guys. Still a very interesting piece of history.

WWII USMC leggings

WWII USMC leggings

WWII USMC leggings

Definitely looks like they got some use. Very cool

Is the J.B Davis on both? my dumb speculation is that it could be a maker stamp? Hey while I'm here can ya please help me out on this pair? certainly cut down! maybe done for Australian use or USMC?

Rene

Its known and (very rarely) seen in period field photos that some marines and GIs cut their leggings short for comfort’s sake. Finding an original pair is pretty unusual I imagine. The literal 2 pairs that I’ve seen in 20 years both were very raggedly cut and had very frayed tops.

Yours look like they were done with more care. Does the top binding look machine or hand resewn?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    Rene

Its known and (very rarely) seen in period field photos that some marines and GIs cut their leggings short for comfort’s sake. Finding an original pair is pretty unusual I imagine. The literal 2 pairs that I’ve seen in 20 years both were very raggedly cut and had very frayed tops.

Yours look like they were done with more care. Does the top binding look machine or hand resewn?
    Cheers Mate I'll let you be the judge, been in my junk pile for over 25 years! haven't whacked them out for probably that long too! to me rough machine stitching? Any way it's originally period done, but by whom? and now ya've seen a third.

Sheesh. It’s hard to say who did it. Could be field/depot/privately done. Did the Australian army use US gear? I was always under the impression that their gear was similar to the British

Sheesh. It’s hard to say who did it. Could be field/depot/privately done. Did the Australian army use US gear? I was always under the impression that their gear was similar to the British
    We did with the leggings to some degree in the South West Pacific campaigns, among other kit.

Well given your geographic location it could be either yours or ours (US).
    I didn’t know you guys used US kit in the Pacific. Well, you learn something every day..... thanks!

Well given your geographic location it could be either yours or ours (US).
    I didn’t know you guys used US kit in the Pacific. Well, you learn something every day..... thanks!
    Here's a display I did representing the period. Full leggings as used.

?

To me, the name marking style looks typically American.. but that’s a very Australian sounding name!
    (As in the great Mr. Hogan himself)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast