Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help

Article about: Im thinking about taking a gamble on this helmet which was listed on the internet. Im not a M1 expert and specially airborne items. I just had a good feeling about this one so its possible.

?

Default 505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help

Im thinking about taking a gamble on this helmet which was listed on the internet. Im not a M1 expert and specially airborne items. I just had a good feeling about this one so its possible. trust me I stay away from anything that is Highly faked specially Airborne ww2 helmets. Like I said its a gamble and these are the only pictures I have. Im waiting on the pictures of the name written inside of the helmet which you can almost see in one photo. It could possibly be post ww2 im not sure. I googled the soldiers name and he was supposedly with the 505th PIR C B . Here is the description the seller wrote out.

Late WW2 or Korean War swivel bale M1 Paratroopers Helmet front seam (Shell only) stamped 1131A on the inside, has the original paint and original dark O/D green chin straps (some fraying) helmet has a small ding on the top. I'm not sure if the insignia painted on the helmet is original. Named on the inside Harold J. Carroll. Helmet is in over all good condition. Please ask if you have any questions.

After reading the description and looked at the swivel bales, I always thought they had the fixed bales on them for paratrooper helmets. What I read about the fixed D bales was that they always failed and would break causing injury and sometimes death when they would snap when the paratroop soldier would deploy his parachute. Starting in February of 1943? After they repaired and ran out of the D bales they started to issue out the swivel bales. Also this helmet has the button attachment on the chin strap that snaps into the liner.

Maybe it is authentic im not sure. Any information would be appreciated. Fingers crossed but in the collectors world as we all no " if it sounds to good to be true..then its probably not"

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help   505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help  

505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help   505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help  

505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help  

?

oops forgot the inside picture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help  

?

Default more photos

got some more photos...the flash kinda gets in the way. Never seen these pictures yet. hrmmmm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help   505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help  

The Tactical mark is for the 506th PIR not the 505th. I personally don't like marking on this helmet. The spade looks Keep in mind the whole "Band of Brothers" movie and the post movie flood of these helmets on the market. Individuals have been wasting their money on aged reproductions of this famed unit for years now. I also don't like the name written inside. Can't tell by the pictures but it looks like a Sharpie pen was used.. If I am seeing the name right, it looks like Harold J Carroll?? RA 19398030. Based on the description of the name, there were 3 Harold J Carroll's that were enlisted that are listed in the NARA Records that served in WW2, none of them with this serial number. There was a Harold J Carroll in WW2 that was a Prisoner of War but that Soldier was an Officer so that rules out this Carroll. If this is the number then it is post WW2 when RA was used to identify "Regular Army" Soldiers. This change was implemented in October 1945, so the Army Serial number would be Korean War era, but again after WW2 The 506th was deactivated in 1945, then re-activated as the 506th Airborne Infantry Regiment in 1948–1949, again in 1950–1953 and finally, in 1954 to train recruits. Despite the designation "Airborne Infantry" and its continuing assignment in the 101st Airborne Division, none of these troops received airborne training, nor was the "Airborne" tab worn above the Divisional patch. Tactical Markings after WW2 were used by the 11th Airborne Division, 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team and a few other units. As far as I know the 506th after WW2 did not have tac marks on their helmets. The seller also says he is not sure if the markings are original or not.. This is a big red flag for me.. I would avoid it..

What is the price of the helmet?

Smitty

?

thanks for the imput there. i Just actually looked up the tactical markings and its the wrong one like you said. When I posted the pictures of the name I had a funny feeling about it. Im going to avoid it. I just looked up the guys name and its even the wrong serial number. Thank you Smitty!

There are a few decent reputable dealers that have original tac marked airborne helmets, but just know that you will pay top dollar for them, but you can also rest easy that many of these dealers offer money back guarantees. They are still out there to be had.. Glad you decided to avoid this one..

Smitty

?

Thank you ill look into it. I know someone that dug this up in Belgium I might go for it. Only 2 that he knows that were dug im the region

505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help   505 PIR helmet just found..possible? need a little help