Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are all VDN shells slightly magnetic?

Article about: This just occurred to me, are all M1 shells produced by VDN slightly magnetic, regardless of year and country they where produced for? Danish VDN M1 shells, from early 70s to mid/late 70s (t

Default Are all VDN shells slightly magnetic?

This just occurred to me, are all M1 shells produced by VDN slightly magnetic, regardless of year and country they where produced for?
    Danish VDN M1 shells, from early 70s to mid/late 70s (the only yearS they where imported) are all slightly magnetic. Is this something that goes for all VDN shells or just the Danish ones? By slightly I mean a magnet with stick but not with any force.

Would love to hear from people who owns VDN shells and if they could try a magnet on them.

West German M1A1 shells by VDN, PSL or Eskiltuna Stålpressnings AB are magnetic.

From 1961, the German manufacturers used the tempered C or C1 steel for helmets.

I found a couple of helmet shells today that I had not seen before, one of them a VDN 90/1. Did not know Denmark bought VDN shells this late, well any shell for that matter. Until this I thought the civil defense U.SCH 89 was the latest. Anyway this VDN shell seem way lighter than normal, and it’s not magnetic either! Also found a 1982 LS shell with what seems like a serial number attached. Both of them rim stamped, which is also unusual, since Danish shells normally are ink stamped.

I believe the LS shell should be read 1982 lot 3, serial 8408

The VDN 90/1 Marking and the LS Marking can also be found on Belgian helmets.

Not magnetic, then other steel was used. Probably hard manganese steel. That then depended on the client of the order and his specifications.

These VDN 90/7 and the LS 82 probably were Dutch used helmets. Have a look at the chinstrap buckles.

The LS helmet below is typical Dutch used.

In Dutch service the VDN and Ulbricht's Witwe shell's are magnetic. The VB, and LS shell's are not.

All have the typical chinstrap buckles.

Cheers,
    Emile