Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Am i right in my gut feeling on this?

Article about: Hi there, I have just joined the Forum after finding it while carrying out some research on some helmets I bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It was suggested I post some pics of th

Default Am i right in my gut feeling on this?

Hi there,

I have just joined the Forum after finding it while carrying out some research on some helmets I bought at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It was suggested I post some pics of the third helmet here, as it was sold at the auction as a WWII/Vietnam era 82nd Airborne MP helmet. I absolutely love it and it was the reason I decided to bid on the helmets in the first place at the auction.
    However my initial research seems to suggest to me that something may be off about it. While the yellow band and 'MP' on the front look painted, the insignia seems to have very clean lines as if it was stuck on/transferred to the helmet. These appear painted on in some of the helmets that i have seen in period photos from WWII. As such I was wondering whether this looked right to the more expert eyes here, whether it might be later (the lot did say it could be Vietnam era) or whether it is a more recent reproduction. Thank you for any help you can offer, and apologies for the poor quality of photos.

Am i right in my gut feeling on this?Am i right in my gut feeling on this?

Is there a number marked on the inside somewhere? Usually is near the front on the inside. If there is one, post a pic of it. That will help them too.

-Robyn

Quote by LoyalHistorian View Post
    Is there a number marked on the inside somewhere? Usually is near the front on the inside. If there is one, post a pic of it. That will help them too.

-Robyn
    Can't see anything. Doesn't look to promising...

Chin strap is a reproduction. Incorrect weave.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Chin strap is a reproduction. Incorrect weave.
    Correct, reproduction chinstrap. The helmet is a Fantasy item and is not a real A/B MP helmet.
    I would like to see better pictures of the swivel loops and the inside pictures of the front and back of the helmet. I’m having doubts that it’s a US M1 helmet and maybe a European clone.
    It’s a cool helmet and I hope you did not pay very much for it. It’s nice to look at.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks for popping in tank destroyer...I was hoping you might see this post. I was thinking a Euro-clone, too.

Agreed, chinstraps are off, insignia is not original. Pretty common to see a lot of these dolled up helmets. I don't think it was neccessarily made to decieve though but rather be worn by a reenactor or just to display because of how rare the real deal is.

Hello,
    I think we have a euro clone here, which was trimmed to US M1. Can be recognized by the narrow rim and the missing heat stamp.
    The chin strap is a reproduction.