Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another late war M1 Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I hope you do not mind me posting a question on another helmet I just bought. It is a rear-seam late war US WWII shell, with it's straps intact. The question I want to ask ci

Default Another late war M1 Helmet

Hello everyone,

I hope you do not mind me posting a question on another helmet I just bought. It is a rear-seam late war US WWII shell, with it's straps intact. The question I want to ask circulates around the colour and it's heat stamp. It has a heat stamp of 1195B (I am new to accurately dating, so I am guessing it is early '45). The colour is a bit odd, I have never seen WWII shells so dark, possibly reissued to Korea?

Please check it a bit, I am sure someone with a more senior expertise will be able to help out!

Another late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 HelmetAnother late war M1 Helmet

The color looks to be fine for a ww2 lid but I would like to see a few outdoor pictures to confirm.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Looks good to me as well, agree out side shots will help.

Absolutely correct McCord O/D variants especially the switching of paint batches during production process.

Wow, this is new information to me, never knew McCord switched paint batches during late WW2 production, it certainly explains the dark colour. Thank you!

It is arriving soon, I will update the pictures on this thread as soon as possible.

Edit: here are the photos to confirm the colour
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another late war M1 Helmet   Another late war M1 Helmet  

Another late war M1 Helmet   Another late war M1 Helmet  

Another late war M1 Helmet  
    Last edited by Seagle07; 11-05-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Quote by Seagle07 View Post
    It is arriving soon, I will update the pictures on this thread as soon as possible.

Edit: here are the photos to confirm the colour

I have found out the heat stamp is 1195D, not “B”, it should be a late war McCord right?

I have uploaded the photos, thanks for offering to confirm.

Textbook WW2 helmet
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I have a few questions on this thread, relating to my helmet.

Were M1 Helmet bales originally bent outwards, as mine are and I want to know if this is found on other helmets. Are the khaki chinstraps common on helmets made in 1945, as I have seen ones in OD7. Lastly, were there specific company made liners that would have fitted best in McCord -very late war rear seam helmets, as I know that over the years the helmets made from 1941-43 were slightly a bit higher than ones made in 1944-45 (not sure if this is confirmed).

Thanks to whoever is able to answer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast