Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian? UN helmet markings

Article about: Hello there, I was wandering through my local surplus store the other day when I found this nice blue post Vietnam RJ stampings helmet. The inside of the shell features two sets of markings

Default Canadian? UN helmet markings

Hello there,

I was wandering through my local surplus store the other day when I found this nice blue post Vietnam RJ stampings helmet. The inside of the shell features two sets of markings in permeant marker 12 PL and 934 SMITHRE. I am guessing based on the 934 SMITHRE that this is Canadian as this seems to be the same format of last three digits of the service number followed by the last name or initials that I have seen on other Canadian equipment of this period, however I am not sure on the meaning of the 12 PL. Looking through the official government of Canada site it suggests that PL could either refer to platoon or the Princess Louise Fusiliers. Does anyone know what 12 PL may be referring to, and am I correct in my assessment of this being a Canadian M1?

any help is greatly appreciated
    Apache8

I cant help you but I have 2 of these UN helmets. IIRC since they are in a closet both are WW2 fixed bale helmets with new chinstraps and one has a UN sticker on it and the other has it stenciled. One liner is blue with stickers and the other is just blue. Interesting though.

So I was a bit off in my description. One is fixed the other is swivel bale rear seam. Can't see any lot numbers. Both came pit of Canada as pictured.

?

Hi there, PL goes for platoon, unit acronym is written in full. Princess Louise Fusilers would be PLF. As PPCLI, R22R, 12RBC for example. As for the name you are right, the service number used then was our social number ( 9 digits, last three used to identify your stuff). That as changed since and Canadian military personal have had their own service number for 20 or 30 years now. Good souvenirs. Thanks