Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are corroded WWII M1 Helmet liners signs of use in the Pacific?

Article about: Hello everyone, just a thought from me. I have read somewhere on another forum that the corroded A-washers of a helmet liner is a sign of use in the Pacific Theatre. I saw a liner with black

Default Are corroded WWII M1 Helmet liners signs of use in the Pacific?

Hello everyone, just a thought from me.

I have read somewhere on another forum that the corroded A-washers of a helmet liner is a sign of use in the Pacific Theatre. I saw a liner with blackened brass washers with clear signs of corrosion (dating it to late ‘44 and early ‘45) and I know it may sound silly, as there is no precise way of saying where an item has been, but the information I have to back it up with is that the US soldiers in the European theatre were no where near saltwater as the US army/Marines/Navy were in the Pacific.

I would love to hear from your opinions on this.

Saltwater certainly corrodes many different types of metal with ease. A friend of mine with some beach front property can attest to that. The whole underside of his last truck was a rusted/corroded mess.

While I'm sure a good deal of the helmets worn by men serving in the pacific formed corrosion, I wouldn't say it's a full proof way to tell a helmets history. It may be worth looking at some quality photos of M1s that have come directly from pacific theater veterans or their families. If you see a pattern of corrosion, then you just might get your answer.

Best Regards- Jarret

Corrosion will occur over time if the helmet is subject to changes in humidity, so unless the liner can be identified to a veteran of the Pacific there is no sure way to know where it was used.

You will find Verdigris on the A washers of Helmet liners quite often. I believe it is just a sign of age and wear. Defintely not a direct correlation to PTO use. If you flip through the book Helmets of the ETO you will see similar examples.
    Verdigris - Wikipedia
    Z

**Though reading a tad further. "Seawater" is one of the call outs. I have quite a few Navy M1s. A few of them no doubt have been had ship use and yet no Verdigris so I think its speculation as to using this as a method to see where helms and liners were used. Also unless there are simlar signs of wear between the helmet and liner or its a named set ....hard to know exactly if the shell/liner have been together forever.

Could just be a poorly stored helmet.
    I dont think you can really determine anything simply by the fact that a helmet is corroded.

Thanks for the information. Does Verdigris spread to it's surroundings? I did some quick searching and I feel anxious that it will affect the webbing on my liner, as one of the A-washers has a small amount of Verdigris on the side. What is your say on that?

I do not clean my helmets.
    I would suggest just leaving it alone.
    If you store them in a non humid area rust/corrosion does not seem to spread.
    Get a gage to measure humidity.
    You want it to be at 50%.
    If its high you can use a dehumidifier in the room where you store your helmets/militaria.

I would be removing the verdigris if it were mine, many would cringe at the comment I just made. Just the larger portions of it you can do easily. But then why would anyone ever wash their vehicle or remove mud from their boots??? It is up to you IMHO as long as no damage is done to the surface of the item.
    Storage conditions are the most important to prevent further damage. In my area I have to add moisture in the winter time and remove in the summer time. Maintain humidity between 25% & 50%. Rust cannot grow below 50% and most items will not dry out too badly below 25%.
    I do not know how the conditions for verdigris but believe it to be a chemical reaction that is not affected by humidity.
    John

why would anyone ever wash their vehicle or remove mud from their boots???

Boots and cars arent antiques. Much different IMHO.
    Most collectors want helmets unmolested.