Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Estate sale finds.

Article about: Hi everyone, I recently purchased a couple of US helmets at an estate sale. As you can see in the pictures one has what I believe to a lieutenant bar painted on the front of it and on the si

Default Estate sale finds.

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a couple of US helmets at an estate sale. As you can see in the pictures one has what I believe to a lieutenant bar painted on the front of it and on the sides it has two decals, "ESSAYERONS" on it. Anyway I speak fluent French so I know it says " we'll try " .so based on that I thought it might be some kind of a combat enginner helmet but I'm not 100% sure so I thought someone could confirm what I at first thought
    Moreover the second one I bought off of a friend a while back. I only paid 45€ for it so I don't think it was a fortune. Anyway as you can see it's an MP helmet. And my friend told me the story behind it. His house in Differdange Luxembourg was used as a medevac hospital during WW2 and he still has a bunch of German and US pins and more....But someone told me it's a bad fake . He said the MP was applied terribly and incorrectly. But I'm pretty sure it's authentic . And I was hoping somebody could confirm that also.
    Thx in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estate sale finds.   Estate sale finds.  

Estate sale finds.   Estate sale finds.  

My concern with the MP helmet would be that the letters are quite crudely painted on, although maybe this happened. A further problem that I see is that quite a lot of green paint has come off the liner, however the white paint is still intact, thus indicating that this paint would most likely have been applied post- war, as I am sure an MP would have been chewed out for painting over a liner with such a worn paint job. Cheers.

I agree with your post but I don't comprehend why their family would have painted over the original liner, moreover I even talked to my friend's grandfather and he told me that it was one of a couple of items that survived because they burnt all the uniforms and threw way all the helmets and pins. Normal behavior after the war of course. Possibly it was converted to an MP helmet at the end of the war, because at the end of WW2 a bunch of German nazi officials were captured and detained in Mondorf les bains Luxembourg till further notice (Nuremberg trial) . And I've talked to Luxembourgish people that lived through all of it and they told me that their was a shortage of guards in Luxembourg (Patton's army went further into Germany) and that the US army had Luxembourgish civilians that volunteered to guard prisoners , anyway possibly it might have been one of the helmets used by a Luxembourger.

I can't comment on what you have been told. Only what I can see in the photos. For me it would be a "buy the item not the story" kind of thing. But I can't speculate on what you have been told. There are any number of possibilities as to why this could have been done. Cheers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    My concern with the MP helmet would be that the letters are quite crudely painted on, although maybe this happened. A further problem that I see is that quite a lot of green paint has come off the liner, however the white paint is still intact, thus indicating that this paint would most likely have been applied post- war, as I am sure an MP would have been chewed out for painting over a liner with such a worn paint job. Cheers.
    I agree with this entirely!....

I agree and I thank you for your opinion .
    Cheers

Quote by ajk99US View Post
    the US army had Luxembourgish civilians that volunteered to guard prisoners , anyway possibly it might have been one of the helmets used by a Luxembourger.
    There are a varied amount of possibilities that "could" of happened towards the end of the war..and I would not dismiss the possibility of a local civilian guarding prisoners. Yet there is not enough evidence that supports the use this helmet or liner in that element. Other existing examples would support your story..but sometimes in this hobby..when a one of a kind item appears..its difficult and cautious to give a thumbs up on something never seen before. I do not doubt that there is that "possibility" of the use of this helmet for that reason...but a few more examples of the same type would support you findings. I am sure there were more than one person guarding prisoners which IMO should show there are more of this type of helmet some where. I can not comment on the paint job..as I do not collect these type of artifacts. Wait for more comments and input..hopefully someone reading this thread might also know about this time in Luxembourg. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I thank you for supporting this possibility, but of course I agree with you it's not 100% certain that it is what I think it is, there are in fact many possibilities of the origins of the paint job
    Regards, AJ

Either way to obtain a Mid-war liner in that really nice been there and done it look and to have its original leather chinstrap to boot is a fantastic priced purchase and regardless of whether the "MP" logo is authentic or not,you really should be over the moon with this buy,I know I would be...............

First liner is a ww2 late war liner with post-war paint and emblems,post 1955 as it carries the p55 chinstrap,shame there's damage to the front webbing sections,usually caused by rotten croc headband clips.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast