Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe

Article about: Picked this one up recently. It is a fixed loop Lt. matching helmet/liner set with follow me stripe. Has a green buckle liner chinstrap but unfortunately it was broken. Any thoughts?

Default Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe

Picked this one up recently.
    It is a fixed loop Lt. matching helmet/liner set with follow me stripe.
    Has a green buckle liner chinstrap but unfortunately it was broken.
    Any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe   Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe  

Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe   Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe  

Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe   Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe  

Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe  
    Attached Images Attached Images Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe 

?

Looks good to me friend.

This set has a nice match,both the shell and liner show evenly matched wear and age,but for me those stripes just don't show any where near the same age as the rest,put on when or by who is anyone's guess but just does not have a 70 year look to it,and there way to big for genuine ETO stripes,the biggest mistake when these are added,if indeed this set has been knocked up just for financial gain then im afraid a genuine set has been completely ruined.

Looking at it in hand you would know that the stripes were not added any time recently.
    Also look at the dirt on the liner stripe which matches the rest of the liner.
    I could try to get better photos but white always looks whiter in photos.
    That is where the deception is coming in I am afraid.
    The helmet itself was apparently repainted at some point but a long time ago.

"The Helmet itself was apparently repainted at some point but a long time ago,exactly but when?70 years spans now and then and if was done 30 years ago it would be old but again not ww2."looking at in hand you would know that the stripes were not added any time recently?again repeat as above plus old stripes don't automatically mean ww2 vintage,there's a lot of water under the bridge in that amount of timeframe,and as this is a forum no I don't "have it" in hand so we all only have your images to go by.and it doesn't do it for me.

I said that it looked like the helmet was repainted.
    The liner appears to have original paint and the same follow me stripe with dirt on it.
    This is one reason I believe that the follow me stripe is original WW2 era.
    Are you saying we need to prove that every painted helmet was painted during WW2 because it could have been painted 45 years ago and not be original?
    I don't know how you can do that other than using your personal experience viewing vintage WW2 helmets.
    Like I said, the follow me stripe looks WW2 vintage to me.
    Also, the photos do not help because white looks whiter in photos.
    And yes, you are somewhat limited by only being able to judge by photos over the internet which is why it is difficult for you to be able to say with any certainty, "but for me those stripes just don't show any where near the same age as the rest."
    I will see if I can get better photos.

out of interest. are they brushed painted stripes or sprayed on, or to hard to tell ?

I believe it to be brushed on because under magnification you can see pieces of hair fibers (possibly brush fibers).
    The stripes are NOT as white as they look in the photos.
    Here are a few more pics of the stripes on the liner and steel pot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe   Fixed loop lt. Helmet with matching liner and follow me stripe  

I can honestly not judge the stripe on your helmet to be good or bad mate. Judging stencils on helmets is always difficult, this is why I never comment on them. I will say though that brush painted ones are always a bonus on helmets.
    Perhaps someone can answer this question. I have seen other liners with follow me stripes on them, what I don't under stand is why would they do this as surely it would be nuts to just wear a liner in a combat situation. or could it be for any other reason.
    Rod

The stripes look a lot older with these photos, dont they?
    I dont know why they painted the liner too.
    Maybe they would wear the liner during training.