Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front Seam 327th GIR helmet

Article about: Hi, this M1 helmet came up locally - painted with a 327th GIR decal. I’ve no idea if the decal is original. I couldn’t find any helmet stamping, but it is a front seam with fixed bales.

?

Default Front Seam 327th GIR helmet

Hi, this M1 helmet came up locally - painted with a 327th GIR decal. I’ve no idea if the decal is original.

I couldn’t find any helmet stamping, but it is a front seam with fixed bales.

I’d appreciate any ideas people have on this one. Front Seam 327th GIR helmetFront Seam 327th GIR helmetFront Seam 327th GIR helmetFront Seam 327th GIR helmet

WW2 shell, would be nice to see the strap sewing on the fixed ring on the helmet? paint is an over paint & I can't see any decals!

?

The decals are the Clover and line(s) visible on the middle two photos.

Quote by FinMC View Post
    The decals are the Clover and line(s) visible on the middle two photos.
    A small point but these are stencils not decals. A decal is in essence a transfer or sticker and that would be a red flag.
    A stencil is an image/symbol/pattern applied through a cut out template ie "stencilled".

However, I am not keen on these stencils at all as they appear far too precise for my liking. Also, there seems to be an almost perfect outline which is hard to achieve in workshop conditions let alone in the field with basic materials. Further, with wear to the shell including the white surface of the stencilled shape I would expect to see more abrasion of the actual outline. Overall, for me the impression is not good.

I stand to be corrected as I am no expert on M1 helmets but these points taken with the repaint mentioned by Rene I would want some expert opinion on this one and maybe a little provenance.

Let's see what the M1 pros have to say.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-13-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Might just be the camera but the OD on the outside looks very different to the inside?

Hi Friend ... you would need some nice closeups of the insignia. However I do not feel this is a good one. It would be about the nicest condition Paratroop helmet I have ever seen of these and go for several several several thousand dollars. The insignia on this one is way too big in comparison to how the 101st marked their helmets. Also their is almost a Graphic element to the Shamrock.... A lot of examples I have seen are far from perfect and many hand rendered. The "tic" (bar under the insignia )is huge as well ... Usually they were just a small dash on on of the sides of the insignia. My guess is this is a repro or something made for a reenactor. Also no age to the painted insignia (from what I can see in the small pics) ... there doesn't appear to be any wear or on the shell really... no patina to it ... the bone white isn't really bothering me as some examples I have still maintain that color. But usually there is some discoloration to these areas. Not feeling this one mate. Looks like someone dolled up a nice fixed loop shell
    Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    The "tic" (bar under the insignia )is huge as well ... Usually they were just a small dash on on of the sides of the insignia.
    I agree, to be honest it is that big that it didn't register with me as the sub-unit indicator. I sub-conciously assumed it represented something else unfamiliar to me. I was paying more attention to the "laser-cut" outline of the stencil as well as the other inconsistencies we seem to have covered betweenus all so for.
    It always saddens me to see any genuine piece of militaria "pimped" by an idiot or conman for whatever reason

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for all the replies, helped confirm what I suspected - that it was a modern repaint.

Would there be any value in purchasing it to restore the exterior to its correct paint shade and finish?

Quote by FinMC View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, helped confirm what I suspected - that it was a modern repaint.

Would there be any value in purchasing it to restore the exterior to its correct paint shade and finish?
    No, Not IMHO.
    John

Quote by FinMC View Post

If it is cheap enough? Yes In my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast