Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review

Article about: Hi, grateful for any comments/ thoughts on this helmet. The seller (Ruptured Duck, USA) had this information with it:- "This helmet has period paint and cork finish. Both straps are sec

?

Default Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review

Hi, grateful for any comments/ thoughts on this helmet.

The seller (Ruptured Duck, USA) had this information with it:-

"This helmet has period paint and cork finish.
    Both straps are securely attached with black painted hardware.
    Heat stamp reads 858C

Liner is a Seaman Paper
    Exterior of liner exhibits original paint in good condition.

Interior suspension is in good complete condition with leather chin strap.
    Black painted A washers.
    This helmet is named to two individuals.
    Cpl. J Cooper US57010762 ( I think the 57 puts this name at Korean war period.)
    E.A. Kirchhhoff."

From reading around on the subject I think that the heat stamp places the manufacturing date at spring (possibly March?) 1944 , and as I understand it Seaman Paper only made liners during WW2, plus it has the hole at the front?

In another communication the seller said that it is their belief that the helmet is essentially an unaltered WW2 issue helmet that seems to have been kept in service or reissued (but not altered) during the Korean War period.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review   Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review  

Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review   Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review  

Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review   Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review  

?

Default 2

Last picture.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front seam (swivel bale) US M1 helmet for review  

I like the helmet. It has been refurbished post war. By who; no one will ever know for certainty.
    John

?

Hi John, appreciate you taking a look.

I'm here to learn, would you mind telling me which parts are refurbished? The Ruptured Duck (US militaria seller) are telling me they are certain that the chinstrap has been on since WW2, and the paint does appear to be cork textured rather than (post war) sand.

Best regards, Paul

Doesn't look refurbished to me. Appears to be period paint. Judging by the markings inside it may have been reissued. NH

The paint looks good to me and the liner looks good but the chin straps look almost brand new compared to the wear on the helmet. They would have to show some dirt or wear of some type. I will look in my M1 helmet reference to verify the clasp type. They had to be replaced at some point in time. This certainly could have been done prior to be removed from service but no one will know for sure. I also believe the leather chin strap looks like a late war replacement in lacking the green paint on the metal. I think it is a great helmet that has had parts replaced. The parts are correct for the era.
    John

?

Hi John, thanks for clarifying, much appreciated!

Regards, Paul

Hello I'm not certain that this will help you. But this is I think a good reference site for research. Best regards.

Dating M1

?

Quote by bsiwula1 View Post
    Hello I'm not certain that this will help you. But this is I think a good reference site for research. Best regards.

Dating M1

Hi bsiwula1, I already have that website in my favourites!

It's a great little reference, very well (i.e clearly) written with excellent pictures.

Reference the leather chinstrap buckle not being green, according to this discussion on another Forum:-

WW2 Liner Chinstrap question, anchor on black buckle....? - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

black (anodized brass) buckles were also used in 1944/ 45 which would match the 1944 production date for this helmet. This is also covered in more detail on this French site (I use Google Translate, which seems to work OK:- https://translate.google.co.uk/ ):-

.: World War Helmets - Articles :. - 1941-45

.: World War Helmets - Articles :. - 1950 onwards

I will be able to check the helmet in hand on Monday to see whether the buckle is anodized or painted, and will report back!

Regards, Paul

Paul those are some great articles! Thanks for posting them. If someone stumbles across this thread there are great resource links contained within on M1's now. You ve done your homework and cudos to you for that! When I got my M1 I was perfectly happy with it but it was missing the United Carr chinstrap for the liner. A period one is crazy money at least $80-100. So if helm folks are interested in purchasing a lid and it has one IMO that has to be considered a big plus. I went aftermarket unfortunately, maybe someday I ll pick up an original. Any way I wish you the best with your acquisition whatever you decide on. Thanks again for the links! INFORMATION is key. Best regards. Please keep us informed.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast