MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help with us m1 please

Article about: Greetings all. Here is a M1 I am considering but I am unfamiliar with this configuration of liner. Its nothing like I have seen in an M1 and it really doesnt match up with the age of the res

Default Help with us m1 please

Greetings all. Here is a M1 I am considering but I am unfamiliar with this configuration of liner. Its nothing like I have seen in an M1 and it really doesnt match up with the age of the rest of the helmet. It looks like someone has drilled holes through the top to add this liner!
    And again same with the chinstrap although it has US markings its unusual to me.
    The shell itself I think is great...any ideas what the markings represent?
    Many thanks in advance
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with us m1 please   Help with us m1 please  

Help with us m1 please   Help with us m1 please  

Help with us m1 please   Help with us m1 please  

Last edited by 1 RNZIR; 06-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Not US regardless of having US stamped on Buckle,better off posting in the World steel Helmet section there your get more response,looks like indonesian,or south american.

Cheers for that will do. Can someone move this to the World helmets thread please as I dont know how to do this...

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Not US regardless of having US stamped on Buckle,better off posting in the World steel Helmet section there your get more response,looks like indonesian,or south american.
    I agree, whatever the origin of this helmet I don't believe it comes from any credible "modern" force. Apart from the issues with the chinstrap hardware and method of attachment (rivet rather than stitch) the liner itself is very cheap looking and doesn;t seem to match the helmet in terms of wear and apparent age. Also, from these pics it looks to be attached by aluminium pop rivets which would surely fail under even moderate shock. If dropping the helmet on a hard surface didn't break them I am certain a nearby hand grenade detonation would.

If you want an M1 I suggest this is not it even if you want one with a "salty" patina. Just my thoughts but I wouldn't want this one even for free!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-04-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for your comments and I agree regarding the liner. I do have several nice M1 examples but what attracts me to this helmet are the markings which to me look authentic and uncommon around these parts.
    Jason

I certainly do not recognize the chinstrap (although you only show one side) or the liner. I have to agree with Mark, the shell may have once been linked to a real military or police but the 'Frankenstein liner installment is bizarre and appears almost new compared to the shell. It is an interesting item. I'm sure it has a story to tell. As mentioned, It is probably some kind of clone or foreign use shell, it has green and white colours on it, Pakistan? who knows, we probably will never know. I love all US and clone M1's - The liner attachment is so strange and takes almost all credibility away from the history of this helmet. A real shame. Still thanks for sharing.

So it turns out this helmet actually dates from the Vietnam war as I discovered from a very credible source and was used by the South Vietnamese Military Police. TC translates to "Tuan Canh" which is "Patrolling Police". These are fairly rare helmets. The liner has been retro fitted and is that of the Soviet Ssh60 and Ssh68,s so not original to this helmet, as is the chinstrap. I will remove the liner and chinstrap and fit it with a Vietnam era liner. Picked it up for a song and very happy to add this one to my Vietnam collection.
    Jason

IMO I would just leave it as it is. There's no telling when the liner was added in. Surely the helmet must have an interesting story. Just my 2 cents.

-John