Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter

Article about: Hello folks. I've been after one of these for a while, but they're hard to find in the UK. When they do turn up, they can be expensive. This one was listed on the website of a dealer I trust

Default Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter

Hello folks.

I've been after one of these for a while, but they're hard to find in the UK. When they do turn up, they can be expensive. This one was listed on the website of a dealer I trust for a price I couldn't argue with, and after doing some research to make sure I knew what I had, I jumped on it.

As far as I can tell, this is a late WWII-era M1, circa June-July 1945 if the Schlueter heat stamp chart is reliable (I've heard it isn't, and that in fact Schlueter helmets can be difficult to date as a result). Heat stamp is '510A' with an 'S' underneath to indicate Schlueter. It is my understanding that these are comparatively rare, with a manufacturing total of around 2 million helmets as opposed to McCord's 20 million. This shell shows post-1944 features, most notably the manganese rear seam. It has swivel bales and a blackened steel chinstrap buckle.

The liner is a Firestone example, with the hardware being of the correct herringbone weave with a string-tie suspension. When removed from the shell, it becomes apparent that the outside of the liner has been stripped of any paint it once had. I understand these are normally painted green, but I can see remnants of both red and grey paint. The name 'Sliwinski' is painted across the front, just below the vent hole, though it's mostly peeled and hard to read.

Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter Late War M1 Helmet - Schlueter

Not a mint condition example by any means, and it's missing the liner strap, but that can be replaced easily enough. Considering how hard these are to find on this side of the pond, I'm happy with what I've got!

Regards, B.B.

?

A gamble that paid off then! Nice helmet

Any names hidden behind the leather liner?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    A gamble that paid off then! Nice helmet

Any names hidden behind the leather liner?
    None that I was able to find, unfortunately. There are no markings on the leather or canvas at all, only the Firestone stamp in the fibre shell.

B.B.

That is a nice pick up BB. Great example and well stated.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    That is a nice pick up BB. Great example and well stated.
    John
    Thanks, John. I think I may have caught the bug with these. Currently eyeing a Vietnam-era M1C listed on another dealer's site. What is it about helmets?

B.B.

Let me start off by saying Congratulations on a nice late war Schlueter. The helmet is in nice condition and the liner is fine just the way it is. A lot of helmets from this manufacturer ended up with the Navy.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Let me start off by saying Congratulations on a nice late war Schlueter. The helmet is in nice condition and the liner is fine just the way it is. A lot of helmets from this manufacturer ended up with the Navy.

Marty
    Thanks, Marty. It's my first M1, but certainly won't be my last. Do you think the Navy connection might explain the remnants of gray paint on the liner?

B.B.

Welcome to the Schlueter club BB!

Nice one Brodie. I just sent one to the UK. A front seam Schlueter I sold to a guy ...maybe you guys can hang out? haha.

Nice pickup indeed and congrats on getting it there. I have no doubt these are rare over there. Some of us on another M1 Helmet forum think Schlueter may have had supply problems and many didn’t leave the US. Also to Marty’s point there is a weird connection between Schlueter and the Navy. I have quite a few WW2 M1s and collect Navies in particular (4 of them are Schlueters). Again I haven’t read any concrete written / researched material explaining the correlation. Many rear seam later war helmets probably were not that heavily represented at “the front” as it were and many stocks of these would have seen service for occupational duties or conflicts after WW2. That being said ....this is a WW2 manufactured helmet in its proper configuration. Many times the other post war helmets were altered in some way. Again nice job

Regarding the Gray on the liner. I don’t see it. But usually they painted the shells gray. Sometimes the liner as well but may just be wear and tear I am seeing on yours.

These Schlueters are rare indeed. Surprised they fly under the radar all the time. I just picked up a new one for super decent price that’s marked! (that I’ll be selling). Practically no one bid on it and it’s a great one. Oh well

Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Nice one Brodie. I just sent one to the UK. A front seam Schlueter I sold to a guy ...maybe you guys can hang out? haha.

Nice pickup indeed and congrats on getting it there. I have no doubt these are rare over there. Some of us on another M1 Helmet forum think Schlueter may have had supply problems and many didn’t leave the US. Also to Marty’s point there is a weird connection between Schlueter and the Navy. I have quite a few WW2 M1s and collect Navies in particular (4 of them are Schlueters). Again I haven’t read any concrete written / researched material explaining the correlation. Many rear seam later war helmets probably were not that heavily represented at “the front” as it were and many stocks of these would have seen service for occupational duties or conflicts after WW2. That being said ....this is a WW2 manufactured helmet in its proper configuration. Many times the other post war helmets were altered in some way. Again nice job

Regarding the Gray on the liner. I don’t see it. But usually they painted the shells gray. Sometimes the liner as well but may just be wear and tear I am seeing on yours.

These Schlueters are rare indeed. Surprised they fly under the radar all the time. I just picked up a new one for super decent price that’s marked! (that I’ll be selling). Practically no one bid on it and it’s a great one. Oh well

Z
    Thanks for the kind words and the extra info. I purchased this from a UK dealer whose speciality is most certainly not helmets. Only three photos were provided, two of the exterior and one of the interior, none with the liner removed from the helmet or of any of the internal markings. I decided to take a gamble, and I guess it paid off! I knew I had something different when I disassembled it and saw the telltale 'S', but was still surprised when I did some more research on Schlueter helmets and discovered how rare they are compared to McCords.

The fact it was never used in WWII doesn't bother me too much. As you've pointed out, it was manufactured during the war, and is of the correct wartime configuration. Even if it doesn't have wartime history, it has wartime pedigree, and I think it can be appreciated in its own way.

I'd like to find a leather chinstrap for it at some point. For the sake of completeness, and because I believe it's part of the 'M1 look'. Whenever you see them in the movies or in old combat footage, the leather strap is almost always present. Possibly a net, too. I hear British helmet nets were often used on these post D-Day, and those are relatively easy to locate here.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast